Re: [Zope-dev] Re: ZPL and GPL licensing issues

2001-06-24 Thread Morten W. Petersen
On 22 Jun 2001, Simon Michael wrote: Now here, I have to assume RMS is using combine above to mean combine and redistribute. I hope I'm right ? If combine included install zwiki on your zope installation and use it then everything I know is wrong.. I did intend for that to be fairly

[Zope-dev] Re: ZPL and GPL licensing issues

2001-06-22 Thread Simon Michael
Thanks for a most illuminating thread. Slight clarification to a comment of yours Shane - Shane Hathaway [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: GPL code together. ZWiki is just in a strange position because the GPL is not actually in effect. I'm not sure I'd use those words - the license is certainly

Re: [Zope-dev] Re: ZPL and GPL licensing issues

2001-06-22 Thread Federico Di Gregorio
On 22 Jun 2001 09:33:22 -0700, Simon Michael wrote: Thanks for a most illuminating thread. Slight clarification to a comment of yours Shane - Shane Hathaway [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: GPL code together. ZWiki is just in a strange position because the GPL is not actually in effect. I'm

[Zope-dev] Re: ZPL and GPL licensing issues

2001-06-22 Thread Shane Hathaway
On Friday 22 June 2001 12:33, Simon Michael wrote: Thanks for a most illuminating thread. Slight clarification to a comment of yours Shane - Shane Hathaway [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: GPL code together. ZWiki is just in a strange position because the GPL is not actually in effect. I'm

[Zope-dev] Re: ZPL and GPL licensing issues

2001-06-22 Thread Simon Michael
Shane Hathaway [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: One of the consequences being that someone re-distributing zope zwiki together, under their default licenses, is technically in violation right now, I think we are all agreeing. Technically yes, although I like to think that the product developers

[Zope-dev] Re: ZPL and GPL licensing issues

2001-06-22 Thread Fred Wilson Horch
Dear Digital Creations, Thank you for providing Zope. Please consider releasing it under the GPL. As a non-profit organization that is recruiting and training volunteers to develop code for our web site that runs on Zope, the license uncertainty is wasting our time and may force us to abandon

Re: [Zope-dev] Re: ZPL and GPL licensing issues

2001-06-22 Thread Martijn Pieters
On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 01:16:04PM -0400, Shane Hathaway wrote: I think you're right. The reaction to the Python license becoming GPL compatible wasn't as enthusiastic as I expected, though. Are you talking about the reactions on Slashdot.org? The reactions there were exactly as to be

Re: [Zope-dev] Re: ZPL and GPL licensing issues

2001-06-22 Thread Morten W. Petersen
On 22 Jun 2001, Simon Michael wrote: Shane Hathaway [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: One of the consequences being that someone re-distributing zope zwiki together, under their default licenses, is technically in violation right now, I think we are all agreeing. Technically yes, although I

[Zope-dev] Re: ZPL and GPL licensing issues

2001-06-22 Thread Simon Michael
Morten W. Petersen [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 16:43:05 -0600 (MDT) From: Richard Stallman snip If the latter, then in general, you can't take someone's GPL-covered code and combine it with Zope, because the Zope license is GPL-incompatible. If someone wrote a

[Zope-dev] Re: ZPL and GPL licensing issues

2001-06-20 Thread Simon Michael
Steve Drees [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: Here comes the liscence wars again. Nope. Please don't drag down a constructive thread. ___ Zope-Dev maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://lists.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-dev ** No cross posts or HTML

[Zope-dev] Re: ZPL and GPL licensing issues

2001-06-20 Thread Simon Michael
Jan-Oliver Wagner [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: The license dicussion takes place elsewhere as all of you surely know. License wars tend to come up at various places but are usually not competent discussions. With respect - loose talk of license wars should be avoided. What you say is true but