I wrote caching software that decorated any Java collection with soft, weak, timed or strong references, it utilised a background thread to clean references from underlying collections.

It was non blocking if the underlying collection was, although it hasn't been updated to Java 8.

Regarding patch comments, I don't mean to sound rude, but I don't think there's such a thing as a harmless data race.

Regards,

Peter.