The current JEP 411 plan of action, if left unchanged, will leave developers who adopted the SM architecture as an authorization layer unable to upgrade to later versions of Java, until finalizers and the finalizer attack defensive methods in constructors are removed.  JEP 411 has the potential to cause significant disruption for a small proportion of Java developers, but doesn't have to if managed appropriately.

The blocker is the ability to implement guard checks using Agents on public API, due to finalizer attack defensive private static methods in constructors.

Allan has advised when finalizers are removed, it will be practical to use Agents to instrument public API to implement an authorization layer, this is try, so can it be coordinated with JEP 411 et al?

Furthermore, as developers must support multiple Java releases, I propose the following amendments, to ease difficulties of multiple release support (with multi release jars):

 * AccessController, AccessControlContext, DomainCombiner and related
   Subject and Executors methods, remain until Java 8 is EOL in 2030.
   Also consider un-deprecation of these methods, as their removal
   causes shotgun surgery (used in 1000's of locations in my software
   alone) and they are required for preservation of Subject, used for
   obtaining TLS and Kerberos connection credentials on all existing
   versions of Java.
 * AccessControlContext - remove inherited thread context, replace it
   with an unprivileged ProtectionDomain, such that doPrivileged
   methods are required for authorization checks and only the current
   thread stack needs to be walked when checks occur, and stack walks
   aren't unnecessarily performed when creating new threads.   This is
   compatible with Loom, update loom to allow the use of
   AccessControlContext to be used, to establish TLS and Kerberos
   connections.  Loom will be very useful for network connections,
   especially long latency connections over the internet, which are
   typically secured using TLS.   This removes the problem of viral
   checks, and Executor task privilege escalation.
 * Modules that are mapped to the boot loader should get a unique PD
   that includes a useful code source rather than using a "shared" PD,
   this allows us to reduce the privileged footprint of the Java
   platform libraries, to allow privileges to be granted to users, not
   code, or users and code.  This is useful to limit data parsing
   privileges to authenticated users on servers (a practise that should
   be more widely encouraged).
 * Remove finalizers, and defensive methods in constructors where
   permissions check points occur as these cause problems for Agents,
   prior to removal of SecurityManager.
 * Deprecate for removal Permission implementations, then remove them
   in a following release.
 * Remove SecurityManager.

This allows a forward migration path for poor sod's like myself who are currently using SM infrastructure as an authorization layer, and to establish TLS conenctions, this or at least some sort of compromise is far preferable to the thermonuclear option currently planned.

What I would like OpenJDK to consider, is to allow developers like myself to continue to stay current with Java, by coordinating the removal of finalizers and defensive methods in constructors, with JEP 411, so we have a workable future migration path. Without these considerations, options are; go back to Java 8, and plan to redevelop existing software, if forced to do so, Java is unlikely to be on the list for redevelopment, simply because development costs are lower in newer languages, such as automated unit tests, https://hackage.haskell.org/package/QuickCheck, no need to worry about null pointers and less boilerplate.

Don't get me wrong, I like Java and have many years experience with it, but I have to be pragmatic, it won't just be me, many other developers, when Java 8 is EOL, will work for companies stuck on that platform, simply due to the number of changes required, because they haven't kept up (eg budgets) with the current release cadence and pace of development, will be looking at redevelopment and replacement instead of migration.   Clearly the current pace of development is a good thing for Java, but the overall strategy could be tweaked a little, to ensure migration doesn't become insurmountable.  A healthy and vibrant Java community is essential for the survival of Java, Java has already shed phone and client markets, lets not shed too many more.

Thanks,

Peter