Hi everyone,

I work with the XNIO ( https://github.com/xnio/xnio/ ) project, led by
David Lloyd in CC.

I'm not sure if this is the best way to get in touch, but I could not find
out how to create an account for OpenJDK Jira to add a comment there.

We have a reproducer for JDK-8221218, and it appears it is not solved yet
(tested with jdk 11.0.12). It is not intermittent, and it happens when we
try to do an SSLEngine.unwrap with a zero remaining() ByteBuffer (in older
versions, the engine would just return a BUFFER_UNDERFLOW result).

You can see more information about this here:
https://issues.redhat.com/browse/XNIO-406

To reproduce the issue, just follow the steps in "How to reproduce" using
JDK11 and add a breakpoint at this line:
https://github.com/xnio/xnio/pull/282/commits/2ae0c1b368c6e0886f9c03030ec443c346cb0a71#diff-9f162fd704e4d5eaff8abb932a923ae868adf3f642d85bc6f5bcfd5f7fe1763bR695

Or you can simply open the test output file to view the exception:
xnio/nio-impl/target/surefire-reports/org.xnio.nio.test.NioSslTcpChannelTestCase-output.txt
(but then you have to comment out the XNIO-406 workaround above)

Notice that there are other failures with XNIO testsuite related to JDK11
and newer, as tracked by another Jira (XNIO-347), but they seem to be
unrelated to this issue, hence why the mvn clean install -DskipTests in the
reproduce steps.

Branch of choice should be 3.8

Since I won't be around for the next few days, Richard Opalka in CC will
follow up with you.

Best regards,

--

Flavia Rainone