On 2 Jun 2000, 10:05, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I read about an internet service which allows you to add a
> "SEARCH BUTTON" to your web site, but apparently, the search is
> made from THEIR site.
>
> Are there software packages allowing you to have your own
> "Search Engine" on your own web site ?

Yes, but let me distinguish that for which you are seeking.  You can
set up a search form for searching for keywords within your own site.
It would be an onsite search engine - allowing visitors to search for
something in a complex web site.  You can also place a search engine
for searching the WWW in general.  These latter search engines actually
use search engine sites such as AltaVista and others.

In either case, most sites use a CGI script for their search forms.
There may be a javascript onsite search, but I presently am not aware
of such.  However, I have seen general WWW search forms that used
javascript to search the web.

Tell us what you want and we will find you scripts.  Be aware though,
that working with CGI scripts can be frustrating.  That is why offsite
CGI has become popular.  With offsite scripts, the searching is done on
your site, but the software or script running the search is located on
a remote server.

Alan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]