On 29 Apr 2001, at 19:06, Victor Firestone wrote:

> LOL, you might be right in regards Microsoft's ability to create
> technical advances - though I did take the definition for DOS from
> wepobedia at the following URL -
>
> http://www.pcwebopedia.com/TERM/D/DOS.html

LOL...we think alike.  In searching for an answer for Sajeev, I first
went to the webopedia to get a listing of DOS sites.  But they did
not seem to fit the quest here, so then I searched on Google and
found that page I referenced.

I don't remember who it was, but I remember reading once a rant where
someone made a great case against so called MS innovations noting
that their IE browser was based on the same Mosaic software that
Netscape based itself; MS had little to nothing to do with the
development of the major protocols that ran the Internet and in point
of fact, Bill Gates came to embrace the potential of the Internet
quite late in modern Internet times; they did not originate any of
the office programs you find in the standard Office Suite, such as
the word processing and spreadsheet programs found in MS Office and
even office-suite type programs had been around before MS brought one
out; and as noted they did not conceive the idea of a DOS OS, nor for
that matter, multi-tasking or graphical windows desktop software.
There is nothing innovative about the Windows Desktop Operating
System.  Oh sure, MS has given us plenty of terrific improvements to
the GUI Desktop, but they cannot be credited for inventing it.

Microsoft's talents lie in exploiting technology by hiring some of
the best talent in the country; by buying out technology already
invented (if you can't beat 'em, buy 'em out); and by designing
copycat type software to compete with the real thing, i.e. Virtual
Java.  It is like that commercial by some company who's name escapes
me, where they exclaim, "We don't make the products; we just make
them better."

Alan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]