On Sat, May 06, 2017 at 04:03:58PM +0200, Dominick Grift wrote:
> [...]
> > (https://github.com/QuarkSecurity/SPAN/
> > <https://github.com/QuarkSecurity/SPAN/>). This is a Jupyter notebook based
> > environment for SELinux policy analysis that let’s you mix queries, Python
> > code, and Markdown formatted notes into an executable document. It’s an
> > extension of SETools 4.
> >
> > Using SPAN within Jupyter notebook is an amazingly productive way to do
> > policy analysis. I really think that this is the most productive
> > environment that I’ve seen for real policy analysis (and I’ve been working
> > on SELinux policy analysis and tools for almost 15 years). The ability to
> > quickly create custom tools to answer hard questions combined inline with
> > well-formatted documentation makes a huge difference.
> >
> > SPAN has been used so far to analyze 3 large, complex, custom systems with
> > very large policies (hundreds of custom domains). The analysis was of much
> > better quality and it took much less time because of SPAN.
> >
> > If you just want to see what this looks like, you can see an example online
> > (though the code is not executable):
> >
> > https://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/QuarkSecurity/SPAN/blob/master/examples/Span%20Example.ipynb#
> >
> > <https://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/QuarkSecurity/SPAN/blob/master/examples/Span%20Example.ipynb#>
> >
> > If you’ve not seen Jupyter notebooks, they are a very popular tool for data
> > science. Jupyter notebooks are an interactive environment that let you
> > write text (in Markdown) and code together. You can get a feel for what's
> > possible in this awesome notebook on Regex Golf from XKCD:
> > http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/url/norvig.com/ipython/xkcd1313.ipynb
> > <http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/url/norvig.com/ipython/xkcd1313.ipynb>. There
> > is also the more official (and boring) introduction:
> > https://jupyter-notebook-beginner-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
> > <https://jupyter-notebook-beginner-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/>.
> >
> > SPAN was written by me (Karl MacMillan) along with Spencer Shimko and
> > Brandon Whalen from Quark Security. And, of course, this is built on
> > SETools 4 which is maintained by Chris PeBinito.
> >
> > Thanks - Karl
>
> Nice! Unfornately i could not, which my limited capacity, get it to work.
> Here is what i tried:
>
> Fedora 26 (alpha):
> sudo dnf install setools setools-console libselinux-python3 pandoc which
> git clone https://github.com/quarcksecurity/span && cd span && pip3 install .
> --user
> cd examples && jupyter-notebook
>
> As soon as i try to run any "cell" or do "restart kernel and run all cells"
> it throws stack traces about "ModuleNotFoundError" (import span as se" and
> "from sh import pandoc"
>
> All the stuff seems to be installed properly in
> ~/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages, and the stack traces do refer to the
> proper paths suchs as for example:
> "/home/joe/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/span/domain_summary_to_word.py

I dont know exactly what the issue is but after installing the following from
the fedora repository i seem to have it working:

python3-pypandoc
python3-pandocfilters
python3-sh

So i suspect the "from sh import pandoc" was the issue because sh was not in
the python_requirements.txt, but even after adding it there it still did not
work