Hi

Some quick notes:

> I share your concerns and the desire to have a 3.0.0 release sooner rather
> than later without delaying for more features. We had a quick back and
> forth about this at the beginning of June, see
> https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/issues/1365#issuecomment-394930906
> and the following comments.

See my response [0].

> As you can imagine, there are many of us who are silently and
> patiently waiting for MediaWiki 3.0.0 [0] to complete.

I have been silently and patiently waiting for community members to
help fix open tickets some which clearly are non-programming tasks to
move a release forward, yet this hasn't happened especially after [1]
iterates on that very topic.

> (I would have loved to help out myself but I currently don't have the free
> time).

I repeatedly have heard this line before and is one of the reasons why
a release is rescheduled or not happen at all.

> Version 3.0 was expected to complete around Q4 2017 - Q1 2018. By end
> of Q1 it was obvious that was not happening and so it got pushed to Q2
> [1] and then to Q3.
> More recently, a due date of August 22 was set, then September 2, and
> now it's set to September 17 [0].

One thing to remind people of is that this is a volunteer project and
I clarify my position (once more), I'm only doing weekend sprints and
any active development related to it happens then and only then
including code review.

Furthermore, recently MediaWiki core issues showed up (#3397 as a
latest example, a no #3395 it is) in numbers that I'm losing focus and
patience by spending hours during a weekend to fix things that neither
originate nor belong in SMW core.

> Is there a general policy/protocol for freezing issues for versions
> such as 3.0.0, with the exception of only priority bugs?

No.

If the community thinks it needs such policy then you are free to
discuss that but don't expect any support from my side.

> In other words, why is 3.0.0 not frozen for everything but critical
> bugs? Why not move many of those issues to 3.1.0?

Because certain things can only be fixed or introduced with a major
release (which is 3.x and not 3.1).

> So my question is simple (or complicated): why are new issues still
> being added to a milestone that's already a year behind schedule? Let
> alone enhancements.

Because the development process is fluid and some features need
readjustment after they have been introduced.

There is no "a year behind schedule" because dates are tentatively set
to give an orientation and not something to be planned around
particular when active participants appear in such a low number.

So, people want to see things happen in a more timely matter then
involvement is paramount because without it changes happen at its own
pace.

[0]
https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/issues/1365#issuecomment-402997832.
[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/semediawiki/mailman/message/36248747/