On Sat, Nov 13, 2021 at 6:53 AM Ben Schmeckpeper <ben.schmeckpe...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Good morning.
>
> When querying a MySQL table's schema, I would like to know if a column has
> ON UPDATE CURRENT_TIMESTAMP set.
>
> I found an earlier question where it was explained that MySQL's usage of
> that syntax is non-standard and not supported for table creation, which I
> understand.  Would it be reasonable, though, to add this syntax to the
> strings looked for in Extras when determining if a column is generated?
> https://github.com/jeremyevans/sequel/blob/1afc503f591127755e5316cf2fbd12d9de12a85d/lib/sequel/adapters/shared/mysql.rb#L530
>
> If not, and the desire is for the value of that generated field to only
> match columns that can be created using the generated_always_as option, is
> there another way to access the Extra data provided by MySQL, or would I
> need to run the DESCRIBE query and parse the output myself?

I'll have to try out this feature and see how it works.  If it always
updates to the desired value, regardless of the value you put in, then
having it as a generated column is fine.  If it only updates by default,
but will not override a value explicitly given during the update, then it
isn't generated in the same way the other columns marked as generated are,
and I don't think it would be a good idea to mix the two concepts.

It is possible to expand the schema entries on MySQL to include an :extra
key.  It's also possible to expand table creation on MySQL to support ON
UPDATE CURRENT TIMESTAMP.

Thanks,
Jeremy