European Union Could Collapse Soon, Warns Luxembourg Foreign Minister

EU Observer (Belgium)

https://euobserver.com/migration/131019
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0016hdoMXAcORpNcZjUtF3rk4sxlAw7V1WrFGodPRC3a7GOtL7ZZEVXLbi2ZysrWb365p_vDHSaojqnVrfHsOEizWgfdPjoHRQmCRn9trTL2txilmkoM6IfE5Qvb2InhM9cdDclFkxet7p7ea1NnZYkCyscaog2fgK1QMjwXoS8g2I4pT1QmvaVohYagXXIFTwU&c=WVu_QfxKOB0fYV2JS2kkep1z1oRV1z_IHxjTGBOpCxGBEZzmiW5AEw==&ch=UyMkeS_1My8qRjTFX0YnpfgSBbmOdKHiHVQXbQclbU5p4TGrYy8unw==>

The migration crisis facing Europe could lead to the collapse of the European
Union and even to war, the bloc's longest-running foreign minister said in an
interview published Monday. Jean Asselborn, foreign minister of Luxembourg
since 2004, told German press agency DPA that the core EU element of borderless
travel, agreed in the Luxembourg city of Schengen in 1985, is under threat.
"We have maybe only several months time left [to save it]," he said. "The
European Union can break apart. That can happen incredibly fast, when isolation
instead of solidarity, both inwards and outwards, becomes the rule." Asselborn
is not the first European politician to warn of a break-up. Slovenian prime
minister Miro Cerar said last month he believed the EU would "fall apart" if no
solution is found to slow down the influx of refugees and migrants.