"Serving the Lord Who Serves You"
Maundy Thursday
April 17, 2014
John 13:1–15

Then He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’
feet and to wipe them with the towel that was wrapped around Him. He
came to Simon Peter, who said to Him, “Lord, do you wash my feet?”
Jesus answered him, “What I am doing you do not understand now, but
afterward you will understand.”

I think Peter finally got it. It took a while, but our Lord is patient
that way. He said that Peter, though he didn’t understand what was
going on at the time, would come to know. He would finally see what it
was his Lord was doing to him and for him. And Peter came to
understand this to the point where he then also served others in the
same way. This is what Jesus was doing. He was serving. He was serving
so that those being served could then serve others.

Peter did not want his Lord to serve him. He wanted to serve his Lord.
But Peter had it all wrong. You serve your Lord only when you have
been served by Him. And you serve Him by serving others. Jesus washed
his feet, he would in turn wash others’ feet. His Lord would give of
Himself to Peter and Peter would in turn give the Lord to others
through preaching and Baptizing and the Lord’s Supper.

This is how we serve in the Church. We give to others the Lord who has
given Himself to us. You want to know what you can do for God? Listen
to Him. Hear Him. Receive from Him His gifts. Let Him serve you. Let
Him come to you with towel in hand and wash your feet. Let Him serve
you by Him giving Himself to you with all of His forgiveness, life,
and salvation.

It is only then you will understand. Only then will you see that you
have nothing to give to others of any eternal value. You have nothing
to give them to love them for eternity but the Christ who has come to
be their Savior. You cannot give to others until your Lord has given
to you. You cannot forgive them, and love them, and serve them until
you have been forgiven and loved by your Lord and your Lord has served
you.

When we partake of the Lord’s Supper this evening it is no mere
commemoration. It is not simply a looking back to that night on which
our Lord was betrayed and ate a Last Meal with His disciples. This is
our Lord coming to us, girded with a towel and washing our feet. It is
our Lord serving us.

John says that Jesus knew He was coming to the end. He would not be
with His disciples much longer. He would be betrayed. He would be
handed over. He would be crucified. And, certainly, He would rise
after that. But even then He wouldn’t stay around much longer. He
would ascend into heaven. He wouldn’t be with them much longer, but
John says, “He loved them to the end.”

He wouldn’t be with them much longer and yet He would be with them
forever. He wouldn’t be around to keep washing their dirty feet. But
He would continue to come to them in the Hoy Supper He had just
instituted. He would serve them not with a towel wrapped around His
waist but wrapped in the garment of bread and wine, giving His body
and blood in and with those elements.

He has continued to do this down through the years and into the
centuries. Only when we understand that our Lord is one who serves do
we understand who our Lord is. Only when we understand that we cannot
love and serve others if we attempt to do it apart from Him serving us
do we understand that this is how we serve Him.

Thus we pray after having received the Sacrament, imploring our Lord
to strengthen us through this salutary gift in faith toward Him and in
fervent love toward one another. The Church has come to understand
what Jesus was teaching Peter. The liturgy shows us in this prayer
that the Lord’s Supper is vital to our life in faith toward Him and to
our life of service toward others.

When Jesus was washing Peter’s feet he just didn’t understand. When
the disciples watched powerlessly their Lord come to the end of His
life on the cross they thought it was all over. But look at the book
of Acts. That’s where you see that what Jesus had said would happen
did in fact come about. He said that afterward they would understand.
That’s why, as it says in Acts, they devoted themselves to the Word of
God and to the Lord’s Supper.

They needed to continue to be served by their Lord who was no longer
with them but who continued to come to them in His Gospel and His
Sacraments. They now understood. They now knew how they could wash
others’ feet. They would serve their Lord by serving other others, by
giving to others the very Lord who had given Himself to them.

You and I are understanding more and more. We continue to be served by
our Lord. We continue to receive Him so that we may give Him to
others. We want to serve our Lord as Peter did. And so we do as Peter
did and let our Lord wash our feet. We rejoice in what He delights in
in coming to us in Baptism and the preaching of the Gospel and the
Holy Supper of our Lord. Through His serving us in these ways He
increases our faith toward Him and strengthens our fervent love toward
one another. Amen.

SDG

--
Pastor Paul L. Willweber
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church [LCMS]

It is the spirit and genius of Lutheranism to be liberal in everything
except where the marks of the Church are concerned.
[Henry Hamann, On Being a Christian]