"The Eternal Liturgy"
All Saints Day
Twenty-Second Sunday after Trinity
November 1, 2015
Matthew 5:1–12

Though some will disagree with the statement, everyone has a religion.
If you take religion at its simple form as what a person holds to and
puts his trust in, then this fits the bill for everyone. People have
always asked the big questions of why we’re here, what’s the meaning
of life, what is it that makes us who we are. These questions show
that we humans are religious people. We are inclined to look beyond
ourselves.

The vast array of religions shows that people look beyond themselves
in wildly different ways. There is something, though, that runs
through every religion. It is the desire to attain something higher
and greater. Every religion has at its heart the expectation that you
must attain the higher that you seek. No matter who that god or
whatever the something beyond you is, it is to some degree demanded of
you to attain the goal. People come to religion expecting that there
is something expected of them.

This basic tenet of religion grips even Christians. Even going to
church is seen as an expectation. How many people think they’re going
to heaven because they went to church every Sunday?

The reason for this is that every Christian, like every other person,
is a sinner. God created religion when He created Adam and Eve. Like
all creation, religion was damaged in the Fall. But the true religion,
the one God created, is still intact. This religion is distinct from
every other religion.

You can see this from its liturgy. The liturgy of the religion God
created is eternal. It is the liturgy of the Church of every time and
place, as is stated in the Collect of the Day for All Saints Day. The
liturgy God has given us can be found in Genesis 1 where God created
Adam and Eve. This liturgy is of God giving and His people receiving.
It is of Him blessing and His people living in that blessing.

This liturgy can be seen in the First Reading we heard today from
Revelation. It is the picture of the saints who have gone before us
and are in the eternal glory of God the Father and His precious Son,
the Lamb of God. To be in God’s presence in His Son is to be
receiving; it is being blessed, it is living in, as the Collect today
describes it, “the unspeakable joys [God has] prepared for those who
love Him.” The eternal liturgy is found at the beginning of the Bible
in Genesis 1 and at the end of the Bible, in Revelation. And this
liturgy is found everywhere in between, as we see a back-and-forth,
from God to His people, of Him giving, them receiving; of Him blessing
and them living in that blessing.

We were created to trust in God. Trusting in someone or something else
brings about sin. It alters our understanding of religion, turning it
into something where we must do something for God in order for Him to
give to us and bless us and love us. It sets us on a path where we
depend on expectations placed on us rather than a whole and utter
reliance on the grace and mercy of God.

When religion is turned upside down you are expecting to do something
that you can never attain. What God expects of you is utter reliance
on Him. Sin being in the world has broken this world. Illness ravages
the body. Hatred and bigotry strain and damage relationships.
Jealously, anger, and bitterness hurt people deep down. Our attempts
to overcome these sins are band-aids treating the cancer that dwells
deep within our soul and spreads to our mind, and heart, and being.

What could you ever bring to God when you come here into His House?
What could Adam and Eve offer to God after they sinned against Him?
What saint who has gone before us has ever risen above what every
person experiences, which is being born in sinful flesh and living in
sin in thought, word, and deed? If you come here expecting that God
requires something of you then you must repent of your false religion.
The demand of His Law is too stringent for you to even try.

Every religion is made by human beings except the one God created. In
every religion the liturgy is from you to God or you along with God or
from God to you with you picking up the slack. The eternal liturgy is
something that is offered to you where nothing is expected of you. It
is completely and wholly God coming to you. Granted, it’s a humbling,
perhaps even humiliating, experience. God does not pull punches. He
comes at you straight between the eyes with the force of His holy Law.
He shows you that are no saint but rather a complete and utter sinner.
You deserve nothing but the hell that He prepared for the devil and
his angels.

But His eternal liturgy is not meant to bring you to despair. It
rather is the very soul of God reaching into the depth of your soul to
offer you something else. Something you will not find in any other
religion. It is full and free forgiveness. The eternal liturgy makes
no qualifications. It places no conditions on you. It points you,
right off the bat, in the Invocation, to your Baptism, where you were
born anew in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy
Spirit.

In the eternal liturgy you are forgiven because you were Baptized into
Christ, and where Christ is, there is life. In the eternal liturgy you
are not asked to be a certain way or to get your act together or to
try to be who God would really want you to be. You are simply asked to
come and drink of the waters of life. You are simply asked to hear and
to take in the grace, mercy, and peace the Holy Spirit showers you
with in the Gospel of your Lord Jesus Christ.

The eternal liturgy offers the rest Jesus is speaking of when He said,
“Come to Me all you are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you
rest.” It is His way of bringing about the Beatitudes He spoke in the
Gospel reading. Blessed are those who are not striving to be what they
know they should be, but rather despairing of any efforts on their own
part, because their salvation is in Christ alone. Blessed are those
who look at the cross and see there the Tree of Life that has
supplanted the one in the Garden of Eden. Blessed are those who come
to the Table of the Lord weary and heavy-laden, beaten down and
burdened by the unfairness of the world, by the tragedies and trials
of life, by the unrelenting burdens of family struggles and harsh
words and distrust.

Blessed are those who come to the Lord’s Table poor in spirit. They
will receive not a list of things they can do to become spiritually
strong, but rather the Kingdom of Heaven. For they will receive Christ
Himself, His very body, His very blood.

It is, after all, the very Lamb who was slain who is on the throne in
the heavenly liturgy shown in the book of Revelation. The eternal
liturgy the saints in heaven partake of is the liturgy of the Lamb who
still bears the scars of His crucifixion, whose blood was poured out
as the river of life from the very Tree of Life of the cross. With
angels and archangels and the whole company of heaven, we join in with
these saints who have gone before us, who have washed their robes
white in the blood of the Lamb, and we rejoice with them, lauding and
magnifying the glorious name above all names.

And how could we not? When God invites you to come and doesn’t demand
anything of you, but simply invites you, to come, in your weakness, in
your vulnerability, in your doubts, in your sins and your guilt, and
says to you, “I will give you rest. Blessed are you, for yours is the
Kingdom of Heaven. Take and eat, this is My body, given for you. Take
and drink, this is My blood, shed for you for the forgiveness of all
of your sins. Welcome into the eternal Kingdom of My Father who is in
heaven. The saints who have gone before you are ready to welcome you
when My Father knows it is time to call you Home.

“For now, welcome to My Table, where you feast in that eternal liturgy
with all of them, beholding Me, the Lamb who was slain, and actually
partaking of Me, My body that I gave on the cross into death, and My
blood that I shed on the cross for your life and salvation.”

The eternal liturgy is not simply an order of service. The eternal
liturgy is the very gate of heaven for us and it is heaven itself for
the saints who have gone before us. We, the saints of God who await
the day we will join them, engage in this eternal liturgy as they do,
and with them. Blessed are they, who in the Kingdom of Heaven in all
its glory have received their eternal rest. Blessed are we, who even
now in this vale of tears, are given the very Kingdom of Heaven, as
our Lord continues to come from heaven to us in His Gospel and His
Sacraments to give us rest, forgiveness, life, and salvation, the very
Kingdom of Heaven. Amen.

SDG

--
Pastor Paul L. Willweber
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church [LCMS]

It is the spirit and genius of Lutheranism to be liberal in everything
except where the marks of the Church are concerned.
[Henry Hamann, On Being a Christian]