Hi

On Tue, 2020-07-07 at 21:42 +0900, David Leangen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Please take a look at this image:
>
>   —> https://james.apache.org/images/james-smtp-relay.png
>

> I have several questions. 😀
>

> First, is it correct to say that in this image, the “SMTP Service” is
> an MTA? Furthermore, is it correct to say that it’s the “terminal”
> MTA?

The SMTP service on this schema is just the server you talk to on port
25. The full picture is an MTA. And in this case it's just a relay with
some rules.

> How does the mail get forwarded from the SMTP server to the Mail
> Queue? Would that be via LMTP? Or something else?

SMTP Service is talking TCP with the client. When it is asked to
deliver a message, it simply calls `enqueue` on the MailQueue.

As everything happens in the Java process, you don't have a protocol,
just a method call.

> How does the mail get transferred from the queue to the spooler?

The spooler basically pull messages from the Queue and then handles
them.

>  And by the way, what the heck is the difference between the queue
> and the spooler??

The spooler is the thing taking messages from the queue for processing.
The MailQueue allows to decouple the reception from the handling.
A spooler usually is able to concurrently process several mails.

> After that, the part about the Mailet Container I think makes sense
> to me, but everything up to the point is not clear at all, at least
> not to me.
>

> Thanks as always for helping me understand!

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

-- Matthieu Baechler