Robert,

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I will probably start the process of moving up to the latest beta soon. But i know it's not a trivial process, and I don't want to risk destabilizing the environment at this point. Just need to get this HELO thing fixed quickly and keep the clients happy at least for another day....

I see where I left of 'mail.' in the helloName in the smtpserver.xml. But that appears to only be used for inbound SMTP. In the mailetcontainer template file, as part of the remoteDelivery mailet, there is this:

<!-- Set the HELO/EHLO name to use when connectiong to remote SMTP-Server -->
          <!--
<mail.smtp.localhost>myMailServer</mail.smtp.localhost>
            -->
       </mailet>

Why are there two different places to specify the HELO name? If the smtpserver.xml one is supposed to be used for inbound and outbound, this is redundant. I know smtpserver.xml hello is used for inbound smtp. That is working. But it appears that James isn't using either one of these (the smtpserver hello def or the RemoteDelivery HELO def) for OUTBOUND smtp (which is the one I care about). After changing the smtpserver.xml to mail.jwmhosting.com and verifying the remoteDelivery mailet HELO def is also mail.jwmhosting.com, mail-tester reports that it's still getting the Win Server machine name....

At this point, I'm willing to hardcode the HELO in the java file and rebuild the jar. But I'm not that familiar with the James source. By chance could you point me to a particular class or package inside James where the HELO command is sent on outbound?

Thanks again.

Jerry