mailet calls 'transport' which is an "SMTPTransport" instance. SMTPTransport calls SMTPConnection.getLocalHost() which is inherited from MailConnection.getLocalHost().

That method returns the InetAddress().getLocalHost().getHostName() first. According to the spec, that should only occur IF the property mail.smtp.localhost is not set. So i think the fix should be in that method.

The very first thing in the MailConnection.getLocalHost() method should be something like:
if ( props.getProperty( "mail.smtp.localhost" ) != null ) return( props.getProperty( "mail.smtp.localhost" ));
Then let it try all of the other options if and only if this property is NOT set.

Jerry