I'm using most of the smtpserver.xml defaults but have the following
changes.

1.  Three servers enabled: one each for ports 25, 465 and 587 and each
one uses its own local JKS keystore.  Here are the changes:

Port 25:
<tls socketTLS="false" startTLS="true">
<helloName autodetect="false">myservername.com</helloName>
<authRequired>announce</authRequired>
Enabled: <authorizedAddresses>127.0.0.0/8</authorizedAddresses>
<verifyIdentity>true</verifyIdentity>
<handler class="org.apache.james.smtpserver.fastfail.SpamAssassinHandler">
     <spamdHost>127.0.0.1</spamdHost>
     <spamdPort>783</spamdPort>
     <spamdRejectionHits>10</spamdRejectionHits>
</handler>

Port 465:
<tls socketTLS="true" startTLS="false">
<helloName autodetect="false">myservername.com</helloName>
<authRequired>true</authRequired>
<verifyIdentity>true</verifyIdentity>

Port 587:
<tls socketTLS="false" startTLS="true">
<helloName autodetect="false">myservername.com</helloName>
<authRequired>true</authRequired>
<verifyIdentity>true</verifyIdentity>

By the way, some users send out mail on port 465 and other on port 587.
The behavior is the same either way.

I will look at the SMTP traffic further.  It seems like the message is
making it to the server because the smtpserver.log has the entry:
"Successfully spooled mail... for ..." and it lists all of the
recipients including the BCC recipient.

I'm using file-based mail storage and I verified that there is NO mail
in the 'new' folder for the local BCC recipient.