Thanks for the info, Garry.  But I'm still confused.  Are you saying that it is no longer possible to build from the source on Eclipse?  I realize the team may be pushing docker.  But there are still non-docker binaries that got built someway.  I just want to recreate those binaries with my code additions.  But first I want to just build with the official source untouched and verify that works.  Then I'll add my changes and rebuild.

You said the .git files are from the .git repository.  I don't doubt that.  But I'm not a git guru.  I'm still not sure how to fix the errors I'm getting (~400+ of these):

org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException: .git directory is not found! Please specify a valid [dotGitDirectory] in your pom.xml

I do not know anything about pom syntax.  I have no clue how/where to "specify a valid [dotGitDirectory] in your pom.xml" (times 400....)  Does this error mean that there isn't a gitDirectory defined in the pom.xml and there should be? Or does it mean that one is defined somewhere and the specified directory doesn't exist on my file system?  I guess it'd be too much to ask for this error message to include the directory it found and which of the 400 pom.xml files the error refers to. (Sorry... I'm just frustrated at less-than-useful error messages).

Did I download an invalid source zip?  Is there a different zip (or additional zips that contain the correct pom files? ) I simply went to github and downloaded the latest source zip file.

Where do I start?  I really don't want to have to learn how to build on Linux unless there's an official word that says Eclipse is no longer supported as a build platform.  I need to use Eclipse to debug my code.  I just want to download the correct source, import it into Eclipse, and build it.  I just can't understand why I can't get anywhere near a successful build.  What am I doing wrong?

Jerry