Hi marc,

I took a look at the logs, I never encountered this issue so I'm not
entirely sure what's going on but the failure seems to be in this part :

> 2023-07-10 09:51:54,390 ERROR |
> org.apache.james.domainlist.lib.AbstractDomainList | Cannot get IP
> address(es) for Domain : localhost
> 2023-07-10 09:51:54,394 WARN  |
> org.apache.james.dnsservice.dnsjava.DNSJavaService | Error determining
> result
> java.lang.IllegalStateException: Lookup of localhost A isn't done

2023-07-10 09:51:54,394 ERROR |
> org.apache.james.domainlist.lib.AbstractDomainList | Cannot get IP
> address(es) for Domain : localhost
> 2023-07-10 09:51:54,394 INFO  |
> org.apache.james.protocols.smtp.core.log.HookResultLogger |
> org.apache.james.smtpserver.AuthRequiredToRelayRcptHook: result= (DENY
> Connected)

If I interpret this correctly james is unable to figure out an IP address
for localhost which is quite surprising...
if you are running linux I suggest running either dig localhost or nslookup
localhost and ping localhost to see if its a systemwide issue or something
specific to james dns config.
if you are running on macos, you might want to check your hostfile
/etc/hosts which could be empty

if none of this helps and the link to a dns issue doesn't help, you may
want to enable debug logging for org.xbill.DNS which would give more
insight into why the resolution of localhost fails

Jean