Hi,

Sorry this message isn't threaded with Jim's, but I just joined to reply.

James server 2.3
My office email server was down over the holiday period, and on restarting it all incoming mail is now going to a spam folder on the server. I use fetchmail to bring in mail from various sources to james and pop3 server to access the mail from james. I have an smtp gateway configured pointing to the mail server for an externally hosted domain.
As far as I can see, all mail coming in through fetchmail is sent to spam.
There is almost nothing in the logs. Fetchmail processing seems to be normal.  The only anomaly I can see is in mailet.log 05/01/24 17:17:02 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: maxRetries is larger than total number of attempts specified. Increasing last delayTime with 19 attempts 05/01/24 17:17:02 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Delay of 21600000 msecs is now attempted: 20 times 05/01/24 17:22:56 INFO  James.Mailet: ToRepository: Storing mail Mail1704475375634-0 in file://var/mail/spam/ The first 2 lines appear at startup, and the 3rd line is repeated for each incoming email.
Questions.
1 Any ideas what is going on?
I had the same problem, and tracked it down to the following entry in my config.xml:

<mailet match="InSpammerBlacklist=dnsbl.njabl.org."
                 class="ToProcessor">
           <processor> spam </processor>
           <notice>550 Requested action not taken: rejected - see http://njabl.org/ </notice>
         </mailet>
Commenting this out sorted the problem for me. On further investigation dnsbl.njabl.org was deprecated almost 11 years ago, but they only seem to have shuttered it at the start of this year! This entry had been a default in my mail server config since I had inherited it over a decade ago.

All the missing emails were also forwarded to our postmaster with an explanatory note.

It looks like the default action of the InSpammerBlacklist matcher when it fails to connect is a false positive. Or do I just have a really old version of that matcher that has been fixed since?

Kind regards,

Julian
/AP 2000 Trust/
^t /_a /Therapeutic Centre/