Hi,

On 06/28/2017 12:04 AM, JC Beyler wrote:
Dear Thomas et al,

Here is the newest webrev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rasbold/8171119/webrev.07/

You have some more bits to in there but generally this looks good and really
nice with more tests.
I'll do and deep dive and re-test this when I get back from my long vacation
with whatever patch version you have then.

Also I think it's time you provide incremental (v06->07 changes) as well as
complete change-sets.

Thanks, Robbin

Thomas, I "think" I have answered all your remarks. The summary is:

- The statistic system is up and provides insight on what the heap sampler is
doing
    - I've noticed that, though the sampling rate is at the right mean, we are
missing some samples, I have not yet tracked out why (details below)

- I've run a tiny benchmark that is the worse case: it is a very tight loop and
allocated a small array
    - In this case, I see no overhead when the system is off so that is a good
start :)
- I see right now a high overhead in this case when sampling is on. This is not a really too surprising but I'm going to see if this is consistent with our internal implementation. The benchmark is really allocation stressful so I'm not too surprised but I want to do the due diligence.

- The statistic system up is up and I have a new test http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rasbold/8171119/webrev.07/test/serviceability/jvmti/HeapMonitor/MyPackage/HeapMonitorStatTest.java.patch
     - I did a bit of a study about the random generator here, more details are
below but basically it seems to work well

  - I added a capability but since this is the first time doing this, I was not
sure I did it right
    - I did add a test though for it and the test seems to do what I expect
(all methods are failing with the JVMTI_ERROR_MUST_POSSESS_CAPABILITY error).
        -
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rasbold/8171119/webrev.07/test/serviceability/jvmti/HeapMonitor/MyPackage/HeapMonitorNoCapabilityTest.java.patch

  - I still need to figure out what to do about the multi-agent vs single-agent
issue

  - As far as measurements, it seems I still need to look at:
    - Why we do the 20 random calls first, are they necessary?
    - Look at the mean of the sampling rate that the random generator does and
also what is actually sampled
    - What is the overhead in terms of memory/performance when on?

I have inlined my answers, I think I got them all in the new webrev, let me
know your thoughts.

Thanks again!
Jc

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 3:52 AM, Thomas Schatzl <thomas.scha...@oracle.com
<mailto:thomas.scha...@oracle.com>> wrote:

    Hi,

    On Wed, 2017-06-21 at 13:45 -0700, JC Beyler wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > First off: Thanks again to Robbin and Thomas for their reviews :)
    >
    > Next, I've uploaded a new webrev:
    > http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rasbold/8171119/webrev.06/
<http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rasbold/8171119/webrev.06/>

    > Here is an update:
    >
    > - @Robbin, I forgot to say that yes I need to look at implementing
    > this for the other architectures and testing it before it is all
    > ready to go. Is it common to have it working on all possible
    > combinations or is there a subset that I should be doing first and we
    > can do the others later?
    > - I've tested slowdebug, built and ran the JTreg tests I wrote with
    > slowdebug and fixed a few more issues
    > - I've refactored a bit of the code following Thomas' comments
    >    - I think I've handled all the comments from Thomas (I put
    > comments inline below for the specifics)

    Thanks for handling all those.

    > - Following Thomas' comments on statistics, I want to add some
    > quality assurance tests and find that the easiest way would be to
    > have a few counters of what is happening in the sampler and expose
    > that to the user.
    >    - I'll be adding that in the next version if no one sees any
    > objections to that.
    >    - This will allow me to add a sanity test in JTreg about number of
    > samples and average of sampling rate
    >
    > @Thomas: I had a few questions that I inlined below but I will
    > summarize the "bigger ones" here:
    >    - You mentioned constants are not using the right conventions, I
    > looked around and didn't see any convention except normal naming then
    > for static constants. Is that right?

    I looked through https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/HotSpot/StyleGui
<https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/HotSpot/StyleGui>
    de and the rule is to "follow an existing pattern and must have a
    distinct appearance from other names". Which does not help a lot I
    guess :/ The GC team started using upper camel case, e.g.
    SomeOtherConstant, but very likely this is probably not applied
    consistently throughout. So I am fine with not adding another style
    (like kMaxStackDepth with the "k" in front with some unknown meaning)
    is fine.

    (Chances are you will find that style somewhere used anyway too,
    apologies if so :/)

Thanks for that link, now I know where to look. I used the upper camel case in
my code as well then :) I should have gotten them all.

     > PS: I've also inlined my answers to Thomas below:
     >
     > On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 8:03 AM, Thomas Schatzl <thomas.schatzl@oracl
     > e.com <http://e.com>> wrote:
     > > Hi all,
     > >
     > > On Mon, 2017-06-12 at 11:11 -0700, JC Beyler wrote:
     > > > Dear all,
     > > >
     > > > I've continued working on this and have done the following
     > > webrev:
     > > > http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rasbold/8171119/webrev.05/
<http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rasbold/8171119/webrev.05/>

     > > [...]
     > > > Things I still need to do:
     > > >    - Have to fix that TLAB case for the FastTLABRefill
     > > >    - Have to start looking at the data to see that it is
     > > consistent and does gather the right samples, right frequency, etc.
     > > >    - Have to check the GC elements and what that produces
     > > >    - Run a slowdebug run and ensure I fixed all those issues you
     > > saw > Robbin
     > > >
     > > > Thanks for looking at the webrev and have a great week!
     > >
     > >   scratching a bit on the surface of this change, so apologies for
     > > rather shallow comments:
     > >
     > > - macroAssembler_x86.cpp:5604: while this is compiler code, and I
     > > am not sure this is final, please avoid littering the code with
     > > TODO remarks :) They tend to be candidates for later wtf moments
     > > only.
     > >
     > > Just file a CR for that.
     > >
     > Newcomer question: what is a CR and not sure I have the rights to do
     > that yet ? :)

    Apologies. CR is a change request, this suggests to file a bug in the
    bug tracker. And you are right, you can't just create a new account in
    the OpenJDK JIRA yourselves. :(

Ok good to know, I'll continue with my own todo list but I'll work hard on not
letting it slip in the webrevs anymore :)

    I was mostly referring to the "... but it is a TODO" part of that
    comment in macroassembler_x86.cpp. Comments about the why of the code
are appreciated.

    [Note that I now understand that this is to some degree still work in
    progress. As long as the final changeset does no contain TODO's I am
    fine (and it's not a hard objection, rather their use in "final" code
    is typically limited in my experience)]

    5603   // Currently, if this happens, just set back the actual end to
    where it was.
    5604   // We miss a chance to sample here.

    Would be okay, if explaining "this" and the "why" of missing a chance
    to sample here would be best.

    Like maybe:

    // If we needed to refill TLABs, just set the actual end point to
    // the end of the TLAB again. We do not sample here although we could.

Done with your comment, it works well in my mind.

    I am not sure whether "miss a chance to sample" meant "we could, but
    consciously don't because it's not that useful" or "it would be
    necessary but don't because it's too complicated to do.".

    Looking at the original comment once more, I am also not sure if that
    comment shouldn't referring to the "end" variable (not actual_end)
    because that's the variable that is responsible for taking the sampling
    path? (Going from the member description of ThreadLocalAllocBuffer).

I've moved this code and it no longer shows up here but the rationale and
answer was:

So.. Yes, end is the variable provoking the sampling. Actual end is the actual
end of the TLAB.

What was happening here is that the code is resetting _end to point towards the end of the new TLAB. Because, we now have the end for sampling and _actual_end for the actual end, we need to update the actual_end as well.

Normally, were we to do the real work here, we would calculate the (end -
start) offset, then do:

- Set the new end to : start + (old_end - old_start)
- Set the actual end like we do here now where it because it is the actual end.

Why is this not done here now anymore?
   - I was still debating which path to take:
      - Do it in the fast refill code, it has its perks:
          - In a world where fast refills are happening all the time or a lot,
we can augment there the code to do the sampling
      - Remember what we had as an end before leaving the slowpath and check on
return
- This is what I'm doing now, it removes the need to go fix up all fast refill paths but if you remain in fast refill paths, you won't get sampling. I have to think of the consequences of that, maybe a future change later on?
             - I have the statistics now so I'm going to study that
-> By the way, though my statistics are showing I'm missing some samples, if I turn off FastTlabRefill, it is the same loss so for now, it seems this does not occur in my simple test.

    But maybe I am only confused and it's best to just leave the comment
    away. :)

    Thinking about it some more, doesn't this not-sampling in this case
    mean that sampling does not work in any collector that does inline TLAB
    allocation at the moment? (Or is inline TLAB alloc automatically
disabled with sampling somehow?)

    That would indeed be a bigger TODO then :)

Agreed, this remark made me think that perhaps as a first step the new way of
doing it is better but I did have to:
  - Remove the const of the ThreadLocalBuffer remaining and hard_end methods
  - Move hard_end out of the header file to have a bit more logic there

Please let me know what you think of that and if you prefer it this way or
changing the fast refills. (I prefer this way now because it is more
incremental).

    > > - calling HeapMonitoring::do_weak_oops() (which should probably be
    > > called weak_oops_do() like other similar methods) only if string
    > > deduplication is enabled (in g1CollectedHeap.cpp:4511) seems wrong.
    >
    > The call should be at least around 6 lines up outside the if.
    >
    > Preferentially in a method like process_weak_jni_handles(), including
    > additional logging. (No new (G1) gc phase without minimal logging
    > :)).
    > Done but really not sure because:
    >
    > I put for logging:
    >   log_develop_trace(gc, freelist)("G1ConcRegionFreeing [other] : heap
    > monitoring");

    I would think that "gc, ref" would be more appropriate log tags for
    this similar to jni handles.
    (I am als not sure what weak reference handling has to do with
    G1ConcRegionFreeing, so I am a bit puzzled)

I was not sure what to put for the tags or really as the message. I cleaned it
up a bit now to:
    log_develop_trace(gc, ref)("HeapSampling [other] : heap monitoring
processing");

    > Since weak_jni_handles didn't have logging for me to be inspired
    > from, I did that but unconvinced this is what should be done.

    The JNI handle processing does have logging, but only in
    ReferenceProcessor::process_discovered_references(). In
    process_weak_jni_handles() only overall time is measured (in a G1
    specific way, since only G1 supports disabling reference procesing) :/

    The code in ReferenceProcessor prints both time taken
    referenceProcessor.cpp:254, as well as the count, but strangely only in
    debug VMs.

    I have no idea why this logging is that unimportant to only print that
    in a debug VM. However there are reviews out for changing this area a
    bit, so it might be useful to wait for that (JDK-8173335).

I cleaned it up a bit anyway and now it returns the count of objects that are
in the system.

    > > - the change doubles the size of
    > > CollectedHeap::allocate_from_tlab_slow() above the "small and nice"
    > > threshold. Maybe it could be refactored a bit.
    > Done I think, it looks better to me :).

    In ThreadLocalAllocBuffer::handle_sample() I think the
    set_back_actual_end()/pick_next_sample() calls could be hoisted out of
    the "if" :)

Done!

    > > - referenceProcessor.cpp:261: the change should add logging about
    > > the number of references encountered, maybe after the corresponding
    > > "JNI weak reference count" log message.
    > Just to double check, are you saying that you'd like to have the heap
    > sampler to keep in store how many sampled objects were encountered in
    > the HeapMonitoring::weak_oops_do?
    >    - Would a return of the method with the number of handled
    > references and logging that work?

    Yes, it's fine if HeapMonitoring::weak_oops_do() only returned the
    number of processed weak oops.

Done also (but I admit I have not tested the output yet) :)

    >    - Additionally, would you prefer it in a separate block with its
    > GCTraceTime?

    Yes. Both kinds of information is interesting: while the time taken is
    typically more important, the next question would be why, and the
    number of references typically goes a long way there.

    See above though, it is probably best to wait a bit.

Agreed that I "could" wait but, if it's ok, I'll just refactor/remove this when
we get closer to something final. Either, JDK-8173335
has gone in and I will notice it now or it will soon and I can change it then.

    > > - threadLocalAllocBuffer.cpp:331: one more "TODO"
    > Removed it and added it to my personal todos to look at.
> > >
    > > - threadLocalAllocBuffer.hpp: ThreadLocalAllocBuffer class
    > > documentation should be updated about the sampling additions. I
    > > would have no clue what the difference between "actual_end" and
    > > "end" would be from the given information.
    > If you are talking about the comments in this file, I made them more
    > clear I hope in the new webrev. If it was somewhere else, let me know
    > where to change.

    Thanks, that's much better. Maybe a note in the comment of the class
    that ThreadLocalBuffer provides some sampling facility by modifying the
    end() of the TLAB to cause "frequent" calls into the runtime call where
    actual sampling takes place.

Done, I think it's better now. Added something about the slow_path_end as well.

    > > - in heapMonitoring.hpp: there are some random comments about some
    > > code that has been grabbed from "util/math/fastmath.[h|cc]". I
    > > can't tell whether this is code that can be used but I assume that
    > > Noam Shazeer is okay with that (i.e. that's all Google code).
    > Jeremy and I double checked and we can release that as I thought. I
    > removed the comment from that piece of code entirely.

    Thanks.

    > > - heapMonitoring.hpp/cpp static constant naming does not correspond
    > > to Hotspot's. Additionally, in Hotspot static methods are cased
    > > like other methods.
    > I think I fixed the methods to be cased the same way as all other
    > methods. For static constants, I was not sure. I fixed a few other
    > variables but I could not seem to really see a consistent trend for
    > constants. I made them as variables but I'm not sure now.

    Sorry again, style is a kind of mess. The goal of my suggestions here
    is only to prevent yet another style creeping in.

    > > - in heapMonitoring.cpp there are a few cryptic comments at the top
    > > that seem to refer to internal stuff that should probably be
    > > removed.
    > Sorry about that! My personal todos not cleared out.

    I am happy about comments, but I simply did not understand any of that
    and I do not know about other readers as well.

    If you think you will remember removing/updating them until the review
    proper (I misunderstood the review situation a little it seems).

    > > I did not think through the impact of the TLAB changes on collector
    > > behavior yet (if there are). Also I did not check for problems with
    > > concurrent mark and SATB/G1 (if there are).
    > I would love to know your thoughts on this, I think this is fine. I

    I think so too now. No objects are made live out of thin air :)

    > see issues with multiple threads right now hitting the stack storage
    > instance. Previous webrevs had a mutex lock here but we took it out
    > for simplificity (and only for now).

    :) When looking at this after some thinking I now assume for this
    review that this code is not MT safe at all. There seems to be more
    synchronization missing than just the one for the StackTraceStorage. So
    no comments about this here.

I doubled checked a bit (quickly I admit) but it seems that synchronization in StackTraceStorage is really all you need (all methods lead to a StackTraceStorage one and can be multithreaded outside of that).
There is a question about the initialization where the method
HeapMonitoring::initialize_profiling is not thread safe.
It would work (famous last words) and not crash if there was a race but we
could add a synchronization point there as well (and therefore on the stop as
well).

But anyway I will really check and do this once we add back synchronization.

    Also, this would require some kind of specification of what is allowed
    to be called when and where.

Would we specify this with the methods in the jvmti.xml file? We could start by
specifying in each that they are not thread safe but I saw no mention of that
for other methods.

    One potentially relevant observation about locking here: depending on
    sampling frequency, StackTraceStore::add_trace() may be rather
    frequently called. I assume that you are going to do measurements :)

Though we don't have the TLAB implementation in our code, the compiler generated sampler uses 2% of overhead with a 512k sampling rate. I can do real measurements when the code settles and we can see how costly this is as a TLAB implementation. However, my theory is that if the rate is 512k, the memory/performance overhead should be minimal since it is what we saw with our code/workloads (though not called the same way, we call it essentially at the same rate).
If you have a benchmark you'd like me to test, let me know!

Right now, with my really small test, this does use a bit of overhead even for
a 512k sample size. I don't know yet why, I'm going to see what is going on.

Finally, I think it is not reasonable to suppose the overhead to be negligible if the sampling rate used is too low. The user should know that the lower the rate, the higher the overhead (documentation TODO?).

    I am not sure what the expected usage of the API is, but
    StackTraceStore::add_trace() seems to be able to grow without bounds.
    Only a GC truncates them to the live ones. That in itself seems to be
    problematic (GCs can be *wide* apart), and of course some of the API
    methods add to that because they duplicate that unbounded array. Do you
    have any concerns/measurements about this?

So, the theory is that yes add_trace can be able to grow without bounds but it grows at a sample per 512k of allocated space. The stacks it gathers are currently maxed at 64 (I'd like to expand that to an option to the user though at some point). So I have no concerns because:

- If really this is taking a lot of space, that means the job is keeping a lot
of objects in memory as well, therefore the entire heap is getting huge
- If this is the case, you will be triggering a GC at some point anyway.

(I'm putting under the rug the issue of "What if we set the rate to 1 for example" because as you lower the sampling rate, we cannot guarantee low overhead; the idea behind this feature is to have a means of having meaningful allocated samples at a low overhead)

I have no measurements really right now but since I now have some statistics I
can poll, I will look a bit more at this question.

I have the same last sentence than above: the user should expect this to happen if the sampling rate is too small. That probably can be reflected in the StartHeapSampling as a note : careful this might impact your performance.

    Also, these stack traces might hold on to huge arrays. Any
    consideration of that? Particularly it might be the cause for OOMEs in
    tight memory situations.

There is a stack size maximum that is set to 64 so it should not hold huge
arrays. I don't think this is an issue but I can double check with a test or
two.

    - please consider adding a safepoint check in
    HeapMonitoring::weak_oops_do to prevent accidental misuse.

    - in struct StackTraceStorage, the public fields may also need
    underscores. At least some files in the runtime directory have structs
    with underscored public members (and some don't). The runtime team
    should probably comment on that.

Agreed I did not know. I looked around and a lot of structs did not have them it seemed so I left it as is. I will happily change it if someone prefers (I was not sure if you really preferred or not, your sentence seemed to be more a note of "this might need to change but I don't know if the runtime team enforces that", let me know if I read that wrongly).

    - In StackTraceStorage::weak_oops_do(), when examining the
    StackTraceData, maybe it is useful to consider having a non-NULL
    reference outside of the heap's reserved space an error. There should
    be no oop outside of the heap's reserved space ever.

    Unless you allow storing random values in StackTraceData::obj, which I
    would not encourage.

I suppose you are talking about this part:
if ((value != NULL && Universe::heap()->is_in_reserved(value)) &&
           (is_alive == NULL || is_alive->do_object_b(value))) {

What you are saying is that I could have something like:
if (value != my_non_null_reference &&
           (is_alive == NULL || is_alive->do_object_b(value))) {

Is that what you meant? Is there really a reason to do so? When I look at the code, is_in_reserved seems like a O(1) method call. I'm not even sure we can have a NULL value to be honest. I might have to study that to see if this was not a paranoid test to begin with.

The is_alive code has now morphed due to the comment below.

    - HeapMonitoring::weak_oops_do() does not seem to use the
    passed AbstractRefProcTaskExecutor.

It did use it:
  size_t HeapMonitoring::weak_oops_do(
     AbstractRefProcTaskExecutor *task_executor,
     BoolObjectClosure* is_alive,
     OopClosure *f,
     VoidClosure *complete_gc) {
   assert(SafepointSynchronize::is_at_safepoint(), "must be at safepoint");

   if (task_executor != NULL) {
     task_executor->set_single_threaded_mode();
   }
   return StackTraceStorage::storage()->weak_oops_do(is_alive, f, complete_gc);
}

But due to the comment below, I refactored this, so this is no longer here. Now
I have an always true closure that is passed.

    - I do not understand allowing to call this method with a NULL
    complete_gc closure. This would mean that objects referenced from the
    object that is referenced by the StackTraceData are not pulled, meaning
    they would get stale.

    - same with is_alive parameter value of NULL

So these questions made me look a bit closer at this code. This code I think was written this way to have a very small impact on the file but you are right, there is no reason for this here. I've simplified the code by making in referenceProcessor.cpp a process_HeapSampling method that handles everything there.

The code allowed NULLs because it depended on where you were coming from and
how the code was being called.

- I added a static always_true variable and pass that now to be more consistent
with the rest of the code.
- I moved the complete_gc into process_phaseHeapSampling now (new method) and
handle the task_executor and the complete_gc there
- Newbie question: in our code we did a set_single_threaded_mode but I see that process_phaseJNI does it right before its call, do I need to do it for the process_phaseHeapSample?
That API is much cleaner (in my mind) and is consistent with what is done
around it (again in my mind).

    - heapMonitoring.cpp:590: I do not completely understand the purpose of
    this code: in the end this results in a fixed value directly dependent
    on the Thread address anyway? In the end this results in a fixed value
    directly dependent on the Thread address anyway?
    IOW, what is special about exactly 20 rounds?

So we really want a fast random number generator that has a specific mean (512k is the default we use). The code uses the thread address as the start number of the sequence (why not, it is random enough is rationale). Then instead of just starting there, we prime the sequence and really only start at the 21st number, it is arbitrary and I have not done a study to see if we could do more or less of that.

As I have the statistics of the system up and running, I'll run some
experiments to see if this is needed, is 20 good, or not.

    - also I would consider stripping a few bits of the threads' address as
    initialization value for your rng. The last three bits (and probably
    more, check whether the Thread object is allocated on special
    boundaries) are always zero for them.
    Not sure if the given "random" value is random enough before/after,
    this method, so just skip that comment if you think this is not
    required.

I don't know is the honest answer. I think what is important is that we tend towards a mean and it is random "enough" to not fall in pitfalls of only sampling a subset of objects due to their allocation order. I added that as test to do to see if it changes the mean in any way for the 512k default value and/or if the first 1000 elements look better.

    Some more random nits I did not find a place to put anywhere:

    - ThreadLocalAllocBuffer::_extra_space does not seem to be used
    anywhere?

Good catch :).

    - Maybe indent the declaration of
ThreadLocalAllocBuffer::_bytes_until_sample to align below the other members of
that group.

Done moved it up a bit to have non static members together and static separate.

    Thanks,
       Thomas

Thanks for your review!
Jc