Hi Alex,

Thank you for reviewing this change.

Best regards,
Daniil

On 3/17/20, 11:58 AM, "Alex Menkov" <alexey.men...@oracle.com> wrote:

    LGTM

    --alex

    On 03/17/2020 11:40, Daniil Titov wrote:
    > Hi Alex,
    >
    > Please review a new version of the fix that removes the old version of
the code that tried to handle the "port in use" case.

    > Testing: Mach5 tests for sun/tools/jstatd/  successfully passed 100
times.  Tier1-tier3 tests successfully passed.

    > [1] http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dtitov/8240711/webrev.02
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Daniil
    >

    > On 3/16/20, 5:38 PM, "Daniil Titov" <daniil.x.ti...@oracle.com> wrote:
    >
    >      Hi Alex,
    >
    >      Yes,  I did test the change by modifying  the test to use the RMI
port that is already in use
    >      ( the stack trace in the original email was exact from this changed
test) and then ensured that with the fix
    >      the such issue is properly handled.
    >
    >      I will send a new version of the webrev that removes the old version
of the code that tried to handle the "port in use" case.

    >      Thanks!
    >
    >      Best regards,
    >      Daniil
    >

    >      On 3/16/20, 4:47 PM, "Alex Menkov" <alexey.men...@oracle.com> wrote:
    >
    >          I don't agree.
    >          The code handles exact the same "port in use" case for the same
tool.
    >          So it either works or doesn't.
    >          And have 2 code blocks which suppose to do the same makes the
code messy.
    >          BTW did you tested the change (I mean craft the test to get
"port in
    >          use" error)?
    >
    >          --alex
    >
    >          On 03/16/2020 16:17, Daniil Titov wrote:
    >          > Resending with the corrected subject ...
    >          >
    >          > Hi Alex,
    >          >
    >          > Yes, you are right, class JstatdTest has the code that is
supposed to handle the "port in use"
    >          > case but at least for this specific test
(sun/tools/jstatd/TestJstatdPort.java) it doesn't work.
    >          >
    >          > Since there are multiple tests in sun/tools/jstatd/* folder
that use this class and different ports
    >          > might be subject to the "port in use" error and taking into
account that it's hard to reproduce such case
    >          > I found it safer to leave the original code and just augment
it with what was missing for this specific
    >          > case rather than completely replacing it.
    >          >
    >          > Best regards,
    >          > Daniil
    >          >
    >          > On 3/16/20, 4:02 PM, "Alex Menkov" <alexey.men...@oracle.com>
wrote:
    >          >
    >          >      Hi Daniil,
    >          >
    >          >      Looks like the test is supposed to handle "port in use"
issue (see lines
    >          >      103-114).
    >          >      I suppose in case "port in use" jstatd exits, but
    >          >      ProcessTools.startProcess() continue to wait for "jstatd
started" message.
    >          >
    >          >      --alex
    >          >
    >          >      On 03/16/2020 12:00, Daniil Titov wrote:
    >          >      > Please review the change [1] that fixes the
intermittent failure of the test.
    >          >      >
    >          >      > The problem here is that if the RMI port is in use than
the test keep waiting for "jstatd started (bound to " to appear in the process
output and in this case
java.util.concurrent.CountDownLatch.await(java.base@15-internal/CountDownLatch.java:232)
    >          >      >         at
jdk.test.lib.process.ProcessTools.startProcess(ProcessTools.java:205)
    >          >      >         at
jdk.test.lib.process.ProcessTools.startProcess(ProcessTools.java:133)
    >          >      >         at
jdk.test.lib.process.ProcessTools.startProcess(ProcessTools.java:254)
    >          >      >         at
jdk.test.lib.thread.ProcessThread$ProcessRunnable.xrun(ProcessThread.java:153)
java.lang.Thread.run(java.base@15-internal/Thread.java:832)
    >          >      >         at
jdk.test.lib.thread.TestThread.run(TestThread.java:123)
    >          >      >
    >          >      > Testing: Mach5 tests for sun/tools/jstatd/ successfully
passed.  Tier1-tier3 tests are still in progress.
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dtitov/8240711/webrev.01/