On Mon, 14 Nov 2022 01:35:35 GMT, David Holmes <dhol...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> This looks good for doing what it says, but I have to wonder whether it is
> actually worthwhile doing this unless most OS/lib will support it? What will
> the implementation be in AIX?

I think C-Heap trimming is useful even if only Linux does it. Linux is arguably
the most important platform. And https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/10085
would bring demonstratable benefits but did not garner a lot of interest. So I
hope to speed it up by splitting parts that are hopefully non-contentious into
separate RFEs.

I know that AIX has an API to disclaim memory, but have not yet looked deeply
into the integration. I also cannot rule out that other platforms may give us
similar APIs in the future.

PR: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/11089