I hear you on the configuration item.  Yes, it would definately be useful to
allow a SU to provide its own ehcache.xml within it.  Perhaps we do
something where you can specify an <ehcache:configuration/> element that
will let you provide an ehcache.xml file location, which will bind all of
the endpoints within the SU to the CacheManager that gets created/configured
by that ehcache.xml file.  If you do not provide this configuration element
then it will default to whatever CacheManager is already configured for the
component itself.  This would allow a lot of flexibility with integrations
that get created and that have specialized caching requirements.  So your SU
may look something like:

<beans xmlns:ehcache="http://servicemix.apache.org/ehcache/1.0";>

  <ehcache:configuration location="/META-INF/ehcache.xml"/>

  <ehcache:endpoint
    service="ehcache:MyCache1"
    cacheName="MyCache1"
    keyExpression="#expression1"/>