Hello Giu,

On 16 February 2017 at 02:39, Giuseppe Lavagetto <glavage...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> Hi Marko,
>
> I looked at the document and I would have multiple patches to it; alas, I
> don't have time to go through it with  the needed attention right now
> because (as anticipated before the quarter) I have zero time to spend on
> this.
>
> Ops have some experience in running a cluster orchestration system in
> production (for toollabs) and I have thought about it for quite some time
> now; I have some ideas on how things should be done to have a decent,
> manageable "elastic" environment with advantages for developers; I would
> love to integrate your document with ideas/a more general vision about
> production; this is probably not going to happen for at least one month
> though.

This is an initial draft that I have shared so as to solicit wider input
from Ops and RelEng and to keep everybody on the same page as we all look
at the same thing from a different angle and have different ideas about it.
As you might have noticed, the list is not really detailed and it's pretty
high-level. You are making a good point regarding elasticity, and I think
this is something we should discuss properly.

> Can we hold on before we declare this document to be "definitive"?

One of our Q3 goals is to come up with a list of requirements for this
brave-new world of dynamicity, so we have some time to keep the discussion
going.

> Also, can we stop calling it a "container-based" infrastructure? :) I
> seriously think containers are little more than an implementation detail of
> the general vision.

"Fancy new stuff that will cure all of our problems" infra? I don't really
have a preference on the name as long as we all agree on the vision for it.

Cheers,
Marko

--
Marko Obrovac, PhD