IMO The best mod for the car is to pull all of the carb stuff off and swap
it to TBI fuel injection.  I did this on my 87 Turismo and it was a much
much more reliable car.  It no longer stalled when cold and it ran much
more smoothly.  It wasn't however a  big power boost.  It was a lot of
work though...

Without swapping the actual engine out that is about the best option in
addition to the other mods suggested.  Overall The car is going to be
stuck at 100hp without a cam, or turbo or some headwork.

The turbo is a good option but I am a pretty firm believer that kids
should have slow cars to drive.  :)

-Rich