Hello All,

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 12:27:17PM -0400, Sebastien Coavoux wrote:

> > That are exactely the issues I saw also while trying to debianize
> > shinken
> > in the past. With a well written setup.py you can:
> >  - install in your home directory
> >  - run "python setup.py --command-packages=stdeb.command debianize" to
> >  build a .deb at any time.
> >
> That was the whole purpose of the setup rework : to have a "well
> written" file :)

The high art of packaging is to allow packaging as non root:
> dpkg-buildpackage -b -rfakeroot
produces a nice python-shinken_2.4-rc2-1_all.deb on jessie, which I have to
test now.

Big thanks for that progress, guys!

> > Not familiar to this, but read about a month ago (from a french guy
> > btw):
> > Did the wheel format bring any improvement in this area ?
> >
> As far as I known wheel is for caching purpose.

Sorry, don't intended to make advertisement for Julien Danjou: The Hacker's
guide
to Python, where chapter4 is about python packaging and distribution and that
PEP 427
was written to define a new python packaging standard: wheel.

> I really think there is communication problem there. Issues are not
> clearly stated and there is no real direction to fix them. I mean, there
> was no clear communication saying : "Ok we are reverting on this day if
> no fix is found and release on this (other) day. We want the setup.py to
> be consistent balbla". Is this being too "pro" to do so?
> People that don't check what's going on Github won't know that we
> reverted that today, too bad for them.
>

> I'm raising all this here because it's devel list, maybe we should
> create users list because people may not be interested in this debate.

As an old fashioned guy with unfortunately little time (new building has to
be finished this year) I like the dev list to hear about your progress,
and also +1 for a users list.

Thanks,
 greetings
   Hermann

--
Netzwerkadministration/Zentrale Dienste, Interdiziplinaeres
Zentrum fuer wissenschaftliches Rechnen der Universitaet Heidelberg