I didn't mean to offend you Tom by saying Shorewall was puking on my console. I realize it is klogd. But I've been using Shorewall for years and now after upgrading only shorewall messages are being sent to the console. No other system messages are being sent to the console so I was confused as to why only Shorewall. I still can't figure it out. I thought that possibly Shorewall was sending this as "critical" and that's why it was seen on the console.

Anyway I'm sorry to have said something that I shouldn't have. I'll try to track down the problem myself.

Regards,
John

J and T wrote:
> Using:
>
> shorewall-perl-4.0.1-2
> shorewall-4.0.1-2
>
> I have tried everything that I can think of to stop shorewall from
> puking to the console.

Shorewall is not writing anything to your console. It is klogd that is
writing to your console. Shorewall has no control over where particular log
messages are written. Shorewall itself only generates a log message during
start, restart, stop, etc.

> I get dozens if not hundreds of these directed to
> the console:
>
> Aug  6 07:34:13 backup kernel: Shorewall:net2all:DROP:IN=eth0 OUT=
> MAC=00:30:48:2f:a5:ca:00:06:53:10:18:01:08:00 SRC=124.205.138.109
> DST=xx.xx.xxx.46 LEN=404 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x20 TTL=108 ID=21755 PROTO=UDP
> SPT=1031 DPT=1434 LEN=384

Shorewall FAQ 17 will tell you that this is a message generated by your
net->all entry in /etc/shorewall/policy.

> I've implemented everything here (CentOS-5):
> http://www.shorewall.net/FAQ.htm#faq16
>
> Tip
>
> Under RedHat and Mandriva, the max log level that is sent to the console
> is specified in /etc/sysconfig/init in the LOGLEVEL variable. Set
> “LOGLEVEL=5” to suppress info (log level 6) messages on the
> console.
>
> /etc/sysconfig/init
> LOGLEVEL=5
>
> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
> # Fix console loglevel
> if [ -n "$LOGLEVEL" ]; then
>    /bin/dmesg -n $LOGLEVEL
> fi
>
> I've rebooted, made sure all "*_LOGLEVEL=" in shorewall.conf are empty,
> LOG_MARTIANS=No and so on, but everything that is logged to kernel.log
> is echoed to the console.

Again -- This is not a really a Shorewall issue. Furthermore, some of the
LOGLEVEL= settings have a non-empty default so if you set them to empty,
they will default to some non-empty level. So the only way that you will be
able to suppress those messages using Shorewall configuration changes is to
set them to 'debug'.

> Obviously I must be doing something wrong, but for the life of me I
> can't figure out what it would be.

Given that twiddling dmesg on your Distribution didn't suppress log level 6
messages being written to the console, you will need to look at your klogd
configuration. You have all of the initialization scripts there on your
system so you will need to determine how they work. Then with the help of
'man klogd' you should be able to determine how to change the klogd
configuration appropriately. I suspect that the hints in FAQ 16 for the
other distributions will be helpful.

And when you solve the problem, please report back with the solution so we
can update the Hints in the FAQ.

Thanks,
Shoreline,     \ http://shorewall.net
Washington USA  \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<< signature.asc >>

Find a local pizza place, movie theater, and moreĀ….then map the best route! http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&ss=yp.bars~yp.pizza~yp.movie%20theater&cp=42.358996~-71.056691&style=r&lvl=13&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=950607&encType=1&FORM=MGAC01