Hi,

http://shorewall.org/manpages/shorewall.html

"Reload is similar to shorewall start except that it assumes that the
firewall is already started. Existing connections are maintained."

If I do 'shorewall stop' followed by 'shorewall reload' the firewall
will be started:

$ shorewall status
Shorewall-5.1.12-RC1 Status ...

Shorewall is running
State:Started ... from /etc/shorewall/ (/var/lib/shorewall/firewall
compiled ... by Shorewall version 5.1.12-RC1)

$ shorewall stop
Stopping Shorewall....
Preparing iptables-restore input...
Running /sbin/iptables-restore...
done.
$ shorewall status
Shorewall-5.1.12-RC1 Status ...

Shorewall is stopped
State:Stopped ... (/var/lib/shorewall/firewall compiled ... by Shorewall
version 5.1.12-RC1)

$ shorewall reload
   Shorewall is not running
Starting Shorewall....
Initializing...
Setting up Route Filtering...
Setting up Martian Logging...
Preparing iptables-restore input...
Running /sbin/iptables-restore ...
done.

My understanding is that 'shorewall reload' should only reload shorewall
when the state is 'started' or what Am I missing?

In other words: why 'shorewall reload' starts the firewall when
shorewall is stopped?

-Matt
--
Matt Darfeuille