On 02/08/2018 04:20 AM, Matt Darfeuille wrote:
> Hi,

> http://shorewall.org/manpages/shorewall.html
>
> "Reload is similar to shorewall start except that it assumes that the
> firewall is already started. Existing connections are maintained."
>
> If I do 'shorewall stop' followed by 'shorewall reload' the firewall
> will be started:
>
> $ shorewall status
> Shorewall-5.1.12-RC1 Status ...
>
> Shorewall is running
> State:Started ... from /etc/shorewall/ (/var/lib/shorewall/firewall
> compiled ... by Shorewall version 5.1.12-RC1)
>
> $ shorewall stop
> Stopping Shorewall....
> Preparing iptables-restore input...
> Running /sbin/iptables-restore...
> done.
> $ shorewall status
> Shorewall-5.1.12-RC1 Status ...
>
> Shorewall is stopped
> State:Stopped ... (/var/lib/shorewall/firewall compiled ... by Shorewall
> version 5.1.12-RC1)
>
> $ shorewall reload
>    Shorewall is not running
> Starting Shorewall....
> Initializing...
> Setting up Route Filtering...
> Setting up Martian Logging...
> Preparing iptables-restore input...
> Running /sbin/iptables-restore ...
> done.
>
> My understanding is that 'shorewall reload' should only reload shorewall
> when the state is 'started' or what Am I missing?
>
> In other words: why 'shorewall reload' starts the firewall when
> shorewall is stopped?

The generated script interprets 'reload' and 'restart' as 'start' when
the firewall is not currently started.

Tom Eastep        \   Q: What do you get when you cross a mobster with
Shoreline,         \     an international standard?
Washington, USA     \ A: Someone who makes you an offer you can't
http://shorewall.org \   understand