On 06/04/13 01:46, Lucas Beeler wrote:

[ ... ]
You're not the first person to point this out. Indeed, we at Yorba think
that the whole thing could be clearer too -- we even have a feature request
on this topic here: http://redmine.yorba.org/issues/2645.

First, a few things to keep in mind. Shotwell has the notion of a "library
directory," which is the folder on disk where the photo files in Shotwell's
library are stored (provided you selected the default "Copy to Library"
option when you imported the photos). Second, Shotwell has its own
Wastebasket that is separate from the system Wastebasket. When you select
some photos in Shotwell and then press the "Delete" key on your keyboard,
the photos are moved to Shotwell's private Wastebasket. While the photos
change locations within Shotwell, the location of the photo files on your
hard disk does not change. In particular, Shotwell does not move the photo
files into the system Wastebasket on your desktop. The photo files stay
right where they were -- in your library directory. Now, let's say that
after a few hours of using Shotwell, you've reached the point where you're
really, really, terribly sure that you do actually want to delete the
photos in Shotwell's private Wastebasket. In this case, once again,
"delete" means "delete from Shotwell" and not "delete the actual photo file
on disk." To do this, in Shotwell, you switch to the Wastebasket page and
click the "Empty Wastebasket" button. At this point, you will have deleted
the photos from within Shotwell, but this says nothing about what happens
to the actual photo files on disk. So Shotwell asks you "Do you want to
move the file(s) to the system Wastebasket?" This question pertains to the
photo files. If you say yes, the photo files will be moved from your
library directory into the system wastebasket. If you say no, the photo
files will stay put in the library directory. Either way, the photos will
be deleted from within Shotwell.
[ ... ]

I've encountered a related problem with deletion that may have nothing to do with Shotwell and more to do with XFCE.

It's a new PC in which I've decided to import my images from the old PC into a new Shotwell install (rather than copy over the database), as well as importing images from various other sources. I now have around 61,000 images.

The problem came to my notice when I tried to delete multiple images using my old Shift-Delete technique and found there was a problem. I could explain in detail but it's easier just to upload a screenshot showing the error messages in the log file. If I do the deletion in two stages - as described above - I still get an error, but the deletion goes ahead after selecting delete. (If done using Shift-Del it only deletes one image in a multiple selection). Sorry, probably not very clear, but the attachment should be.

Is it possible I need to create an xfce wastebasket? I seem to have a ~/.local/share/Trash filesystem

Dougie

[ EDIT: screenshot available:
http://www.fellandforest.co.uk/p326476854/h6ACE9C30#h6ace9c30

instead of attachment ]

[ EDIT 2: helps if I delete the original attachment :-) ]