R S <papa.filter@...> writes:

> hi,
>
> my way to get the jpg thumbs is now to select all imported "white"
> pictures and select
> enhance - which will generate all thumbs - and then -I prefer the original
> - select undo for all enhanced pictures - the thumbs stay.
> It takes a while - but there are other things to do meanwhile .
>
> papa
>
> Am 31.05.2013, 11:32 Uhr, schrieb jhoran <jhoran1us <at> yahoo.com>:
>
> > Jim Nelson <jim <at> ...> writes:
> >

> >> Shotwell needs to generate the JPEGs because decoding the RAWs each
> >> time you access them would take too long.  If you want to tweak how
> >> these JPEGs are generated, you can specify a RAW editor inside
> >> Shotwell's preferences.
> >>
> >> You probably want to use Camera developer rather than Shotwell
> >> developer; the RAW library we use doesn't work with all cameras out
> >> there.
> >>

> > Hi all,
> >
> > got the same problem with Fuji RAF files : very long time to import
> > although
> > the Developer is set to 'Camera'. No JPG thumb is generated though.

Hi all,

Additional comments:

I guess that Shotwell use dcraw to extract the embeded JPG in the raw file
in order to generate the thumb.
In my case, Shotwell cannot generate the thumb for RAF file of Fuji X100S
because the latest dcraw stable release does not support this camera.

I noticed that Libraw 0.15.2 can handle the Fuji X100S RAF file correctly.

One nice feature would be to let the user to configure the command line to
extract the JPG from the RAW file. That would let freedom to the user to use
whatever raw extracter he/she wants. Fotoxx does that.

In my particular case I would use dcraw_emu from Libraw and everything would
work perfectly.

Hope it helps someone.

Jhoran