Hi Chris/Andrei,

Your ongoing discussion is interesting and quite insightful for me, as I am
also planning to pursue some polarization calculations.

My system will be zinc oxide nanowires - with free surfaces and periodicity
induced along the length (modeling infinitely long wires).
I am wondering if the approach of calculating polarization using the
Berry-Phase approach (by employing Polarization Grids) is suitable for this
scenario. ZnO has a band gap and is semiconducting, but not an "insulator".
This question came up as the SIESTA manual suggests that Berry-phase
approach is suitable only for insulators.

Please, shed some light on this issue as well, in lieu of your ongoing
discussion.

Thanks,
Ravi

Northwestern University
Evanston, IL 60208 - 3111


On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 9:03 AM, <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dear Chris,
> I think you attempt to cheat the code and to overcome its
> naive protection against an attempt to calculate polarization
> on a metal system. What matters 12 or 13 silver atoms,
> a little bit metal is a metal, in the context given.
> Are you sure you are doing
> something reasonable even when "it performs the calculation!" ?
> Do you have a band gap in your silver-on-whatever system?
> The band gap is NEEDED for calculating the polarization, Berry phase or
> not.
>
> Best regards
>
> Andrei Postnikov
>
> > Thanks Andrei,
> >
> > I was trying to use the silver system as a simple example.  What I'm
> truly
> > interested in calculating is the polarization in a polymer-metal
> > nanocomposite; and what I've found is that with a matrix of 400 atoms and
> > a
> > metal (i.e. silver) inclusion with an odd number of atoms (I tried with
> > 13)
> > then SIESTA won't do the polarization calculation: odd total number of
> > electrons.  But if the inclusion is only 12 atoms, it performs the
> > calculation!  I also tried giving the system a single positive charge but
> > to
> > no avail.
> >
> > Chris Rowan
> > M.Sc. Candidate
> > University of Victoria
> > Canada
>
>

Responder a