Ravi,

As far as I know, anything with a band gap is an insulator... The term
"semiconductor" is generally employed only to discriminate insulators with a
band gap below a certain value, say, 4 eV. So your ZnO wires are also
insulators - provided, of course, they have a non-zero band gap from your
calculations :)

Cheers,

Marcos

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Ravi Agrawal <
[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Chris/Andrei,
>
> Your ongoing discussion is interesting and quite insightful for me, as I am
> also planning to pursue some polarization calculations.
>
> My system will be zinc oxide nanowires - with free surfaces and periodicity
> induced along the length (modeling infinitely long wires).
> I am wondering if the approach of calculating polarization using the
> Berry-Phase approach (by employing Polarization Grids) is suitable for this
> scenario. ZnO has a band gap and is semiconducting, but not an "insulator".
> This question came up as the SIESTA manual suggests that Berry-phase
> approach is suitable only for insulators.
>
> Please, shed some light on this issue as well, in lieu of your ongoing
> discussion.
>
> Thanks,
> Ravi
>
> Northwestern University
> Evanston, IL 60208 - 3111
>
>
>
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 9:03 AM, <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Dear Chris,
>> I think you attempt to cheat the code and to overcome its
>> naive protection against an attempt to calculate polarization
>> on a metal system. What matters 12 or 13 silver atoms,
>> a little bit metal is a metal, in the context given.
>> Are you sure you are doing
>> something reasonable even when "it performs the calculation!" ?
>> Do you have a band gap in your silver-on-whatever system?
>> The band gap is NEEDED for calculating the polarization, Berry phase or
>> not.
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Andrei Postnikov
>>
>> > Thanks Andrei,
>> >
>> > I was trying to use the silver system as a simple example.  What I'm
>> truly
>> > interested in calculating is the polarization in a polymer-metal
>> > nanocomposite; and what I've found is that with a matrix of 400 atoms
>> and
>> > a
>> > metal (i.e. silver) inclusion with an odd number of atoms (I tried with
>> > 13)
>> > then SIESTA won't do the polarization calculation: odd total number of
>> > electrons.  But if the inclusion is only 12 atoms, it performs the
>> > calculation!  I also tried giving the system a single positive charge
>> but
>> > to
>> > no avail.
>> >
>> > Chris Rowan
>> > M.Sc. Candidate
>> > University of Victoria
>> > Canada
>>
>>
>

Responder a