The mentioned well-known problem is related with
the use of non-orthogonal basis sets. For
orthogonal ones the PDOS is definite positive,
which is what people expect. But for
non-orthogonal ones that is not the case
(although negatve values tend to be small
since the diagonal bit dominates and that one
is positive)

Emilio

--
Emilio Artacho
CIC Nanogune Consolider, and Cavendish Laboratory, University of Cambridge