In this situation my question is suppose I have obtained negative PDOS for
a particular structure. If I will give this values in the manuscript and
send to any journal for publication and if the referee will ask about this
then what should I do?

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 3:05 PM, <fthe...@iesl.forth.gr> wrote:

> I fully agree with Emilio.
> The fact that you find negative PDOS even for s orbitals has to do with
> the interactions between those s-orbitals with the orbitals of the other
> atoms, which might give small negative contributions. If you select
> different orientations of the atoms, you may have different contributions
> from the atomic orbitals (since their orientation will not change) and
> those negative contributions could (hopefully) absorbed by other positive
> contributions. Thus, the PDOS will (hopefully) not be negative. Obviously,
> there is not any physical meaning for a negative PDOS.
> The problem comes from the physical meaning assigned to the PDOS, which is
> exactly the same with the physical meaning assigned to the Mullicken
> charges.
> Maybe you can get some answers in Roald Hoffmann's book "Solids and
> Surfaces".
>
> Zacharias Fthenakis
>
> > The mentioned well-known problem is related with
> > the use of non-orthogonal basis sets. For
> > orthogonal ones the PDOS is definite positive,
> > which is what people expect. But for
> > non-orthogonal ones that is not the case
> > (although negatve values tend to be small
> > since the diagonal bit dominates and that one
> > is positive)
> >
> > Emilio
> >
> > --
> > Emilio Artacho
> > CIC Nanogune Consolider, and Cavendish Laboratory, University of
> Cambridge
> > Tolosa Hiribidea 76, E-20018 Donostia - San Sebastián, Spain,
> > e.arta...@nanogune.eu, +34 943 574 4000, http://theory.nanogune.eu
> >
> > On 12 Apr 2015, at 09:53, fthe...@iesl.forth.gr wrote:
> >
> >> This is a well known "problem", but has not to do with SIESTA. It has to
> >> do with the physical meaning of the decomposition of DOS to PDOS. If you
> >> decompose to orbitals with different orientation you may probably not
> >> have
> >> those "problems".
> >>
> >> Zacharias Fthenakis

> >> *********************************************************
> >> Dr Zacharias G. Fthenakis
> >> Research Associate
> >> Institute of Electronic Structure and Laser (I.E.S.L.)
> >> Foundation for Research and Technology Hellas (FO.R.T.H.)
> >> Vassilika Vouton P.O. Box 1527 71003 Heraklion Crete Greece
> >> Phone +30 2810 391824
> >> FAX   +30 2810 391305
> >> webpage: http://esperia.iesl.forth.gr/~fthenak
> >> **********************************************************

> Dr Zacharias G. Fthenakis
> Research Associate
> Institute of Electronic Structure and Laser (I.E.S.L.)
> Foundation for Research and Technology Hellas (FO.R.T.H.)
> Vassilika Vouton P.O. Box 1527 71003 Heraklion Crete Greece
> Phone +30 2810 391824
> FAX   +30 2810 391305
> webpage: http://esperia.iesl.forth.gr/~fthenak

*Senior research fellow Dept. of Physics, University of Calcutta Kolkata-
700009, West Bengal, India.*
* Ph no-+91-9830512232*

Responder a