On 21/08/17 13:49, qcontinuum+subs wrote:
Just a further update on this, the rule I added was correct as follows:

# Brymen BC-86X
ATTRS{idVendor}=="0820", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001", MODE="660", GROUP="plugdev", TAG+="uaccess"

Could this be added to the offical z60-libsigrok.rules file please?

The proper place for user rules on Mint is /etc/udev/rules.d, so I removed the file I had previously put in /lib/udev/rules.d and placed a fresh copy in /etc. I removed the leading 'z' and added the rule as above. Even after doing this it did not work until I finally updated udev by doing 'apt-get install udev'. After that I restarted udev unplugged the cable and plugged it back in again and it then worked and I could see the udev events with 'udevadm monitor'. Removing the above rule kills it off again, so the rule is needed. Evidently a problem with the original udev version though.

Regards.

You did the correct steps. Probably almost ;-)
My guess is that, instead of reinstalling udev, it was sufficient to just "reload" the rules.
I'm on Slackware, and the setup procedure is the same as yours.

When it comes to the rule, to be consistent with the rest of sigrok, I used:
$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/99-brymen-bu-86x.rules
ACTION!="add|change", GOTO="libsigrok_rules_end"
SUBSYSTEM!="usb|usbmisc|usb_device", GOTO="libsigrok_rules_end"

# Brymen BU-86X.
ATTRS{idVendor}=="0820", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001", MODE="660", GROUP="plugdev", TAG+="uaccess"

LABEL="libsigrok_rules_end"

But if Uwe merged the rule to the sigrok "rule-set", then the only part that matters is: ATTRS{idVendor}=="0820", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001", MODE="660", GROUP="plugdev", TAG+="uaccess"

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Telszewski