Fritz Doetzkies confirmed that the question is solved:
There were a third option: a parallel installation of opencv 2.1 - I've
found the sources at the opencv home page, build it and installed it
according to the instructions on
http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencvlibrary/files/opencv-unix/2.1/.

It works.

After this I had the known "libtiff problem". At first the solution from
the web:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4

didn't work. After recognizing that my system searches /usr/lib64
(instead of /usr/lib) for that library the solution was quite easy. :-)

Now my first tests were running... Thanks for helping, Maybe there will
be more questions.

<F>