Michael Böhm posted a new comment:
Hi! Thanks for your quick response

--- *) if the image is whitespace: NO crash
Since whitespace is an idiom in the string/character/regex world (meaning
spaces, newlines, ...):
you are talking about an area filled with white colour?
-> yes, any plain white, grey, black, etc colour will not crash it

--- *) but if there is a pattern, like a picture, actually any picture
can you send me a typical image (sikulix---at---outlook---dot---com)
-> here is the pic from the original bug ticket:
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/494128457/BugImage.png # that one crashes for
sure

that pic, like many others show that behaviour. always at 272 loops.
Fun fact: there are some images which should crash it, based on my original
description, but in reality they don't. Further try&error makes me think it
depends if the text() function expects any text at all (if yes, but there is no
text-> crash). Another observation supports that: I always measure the time for
every loop. A typical non-crash run takes about<0.2 sec (including write to
file, etc..), it doubles to about 0.4sec on similar size when there is a
crashing pattern. Also compared to around <0.3sec when there is actually a text
found.
Of course bigger areas take more time, but these results are on the same size
regions.

--- *) restarting the script does not reset this counter
I learned, that restarting is only possible if the script did not hang.
So you are talking about a restart after a successful run?
-> yes, stop a running script at about loop 250, start again makes it through
loop 22
kill java und start Sikulix again gets me to full 272 loops

https://launchpadlibrarian.net/494128457/BugImage.png

is an answer contact for Sikuli.