given that over 100,000 delegates attend the wsf, the prominence of one
particular delegate is probably an indicator of the media's celebrity
obsession more than that delegate's greed for publicity.

while we're on the subject, should celebrities have opinions on political,
social, economic issues? should they voice them? especially in a media
market that will pay scant attention to the issue unless they do? even if
all they're bringing to the party is their celebrity?

On 11/23/06, Ramakrishnan Sundaram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 11/23/06, Ingrid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> inevitably, a group that evolved as a response to that bunch of
> businesspeople, would display counter-dependent "anti" stances. is that,
or
> the fact their meetings are relatively unstructured, enough reason to
> dismiss their ideas?

No. The FoU meet being planned here will probably display
"couter-dependent "anti" stances, and will be unstructured.

It is more of a dismissal by association, in this case of people who are

> publicity hogs like
> Arundhati Roy

So, shall we start discussing Ms Roy now?

Ram

--
"An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting
than sex." - Aldous Huxley