I suspect you credit authorities with more responsibility than they actually bear. May I recommend Robert Neuwirth's Shadow Cities?

Here's a review:
http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/002029.html

Here's the author's blog:
http://squattercity.blogspot.com/

Here's him giving a talk at TED (well worth watching):
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/36

And here's the book itself:
Hardcover: http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Cities-Billion-Squatters- Urban/dp/0415933196 Paperback: http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Cities-Billion-Squatters- Urban/dp/0415953618

J.