On 8/27/07, Venkat Mangudi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Charles Haynes wrote:
> >
> > So Venky, this is a throw down. Where do you think you can get a good
> > espresso in Bangalore. I'll meet you there.
>
> That's Venki, not Venky. And I think that the best espresso is probably
> at your place and I will meet you there before you become a
> non-resident. :-)

Oops! Sorry. At my place is only my super-automatic. The cappucino I
make is actually at work when I can convince the helpers not to
helpfully pre-grind a hopper full of coffee. I've finally got the
machine calibrated to get the grind to the point where a properly
dosed double shot takes 27 seconds to pull. I haven't done anything
tweakish like add a PID to the boiler or measure the brewhead
pressure, so this is merely an "adequate" shot, nothing godlike. :)

> My statement was just a comparison of the Bangalore coffee shops with
> the Starbucks, Javacity etc outlets in the US.

Ew. Yeah, standard commercial chain coffee sucks in both the US and here.

> Those baristas just foam
> milk, put it in a cup and add espresso afterwards. No amount of telling
> them that espresso comes first made any difference, even when you are a
> regular. Some of them looked at me like I was an alien, which I was in
> the US. :-)

Hah. I once ordered a cafe macchiato in one of those Starbucks
inspired places. Not only did they foam the milk first, they filled
the cup with milk then added the espresso. I handed it back in horror
and said "this is not a cafe macchiato. A cafe macciato is an espresso
with just a tiny bit of foam on top." The 'barrista' replied "not
here." I said "Well, that's what it is in an Italian cafe, so I guess
I'll have to get my coffee 'not here.'"

-- Charles