On 8/27/07, Biju Chacko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 8/27/07, Sriram Karra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 8/27/07, Gautam John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > What do you reckon is the best coffee chain in Bangalore/India. Or
> >
> > Hotel Saravana Bhavan might not be as hep, cool, or rocking as the
> > coffee shops mentiond in this thread. However, if the objective is to
> > seek out a place which knows the most effective way to deliver the
> > right dosage of caffeine in a coffee cup (davara and tumbler, in this
> > case), let it be known that HSB has few peers.
> >
> > And talking of confusing menus - the HSB coffee list has two items -
> > "Coffee", and "Mini Coffee". Beat that.
>
> I have to admit there isn't much to beat a good South Indian filter
> coffee. This may get me excommunicated but I also think that, in
> general, you get better coffee in Madras than Bangalore.

Chicory laden south Indian coffee is not gourmet coffee by a long
shot. Too sweet and too milky, I mostly swore off that stuff a long
while ago. It was probably as good as it got for me when all I had for
comparison was the awful nastiness of nescafe, bru and the cinema
espressos. Quite often we had no clue what went into the coffee
powder, coming from a Leo or Narasus coffee chain, you were lucky if
there were any real coffee beans in it. I still like the coffee my
mother makes, but I think it has more to do with memories of growing
up with it, than any gourmet factor.

Once I got a taste of rich and fruity Java & Kenyan beans and the
intricacies of coffee making I was not going back to Narasus. It
turned out to be too much of a good thing, I developed a caffeine
addiction, and I had to painfully wean myself off caffeine, dropping
down to a normal one or two cups a day. Since moving back to India
I've had to do with local peaberry and robusta. Most Indian
plantations don't seem to grow any other varieties.

I grew up in the hills, where I used to harvest coffee beans from our
home garden and help out in getting them dried, roasted and brewed.
Now that was exciting, but I am not sure if it ever could be termed
gourmet coffee.

Unlike Charles, I gave up on convincing the kitchen staff at work to
not pre-grind ginormous quantities of the beans every morning. Anyway,
I don't much like the beans that are used at work; I've turned to
drinking more chai these days.

I get my beans from Coffee Day ground in my presence. My apartment is
right next door to one of their stores, I usually buy a week's supply
at a time.

Cheeni