India is one of the safest countries. I have traveled all over and even my
friends from overseas seem to think the same. I am a South Indian Christian,
living in the North for many years (minority). I have  friends from all
communities.  In India, we   treat foreigners visiting our country with
respect and this comes from humble, traditional customs.
Of course, there are and will be exceptions to the rule !
The US on the other hand is a rich country where people have grown up with a
blinded, selfish view. Most of the citizens are unaware of different
countries, races, religions, customs etc. They are so clued into their own
lives and fail to look outwards.  There had to be a war for them to know
about a country called Afghanistan.  Most of the mistakes they make come
from this ignorance.
And of course, there are exceptions and some wonderful people there too  !

Valsa