> Ramayana story and set in a post-apocalyptic humans vs. demons world
> (obviously), the Deepak Chopra-developed comic franchise would seem to
> lend itself well to the genre without resorting to Western swords and
> sorcery shenanigans."
>
> What was the response to the comics? Is it related to the being taught
> in school part? Just curious.

I've read some of the 3392 AD comics (not seen them in India though).
Moderately readable, but nothing spectacular (although i thought the art
was cool). The Ashok Banker novels retelling the Ramayana (Prince of
Ayodhya, etc) are actually quite readable - better than the comics
(although I've only read the first one).

Re right-wing thugs taking exception to stuff like this, I think it is
difficult to establish any kind of logical pattern or consistency to it
(no doubt they had a reason, but it's not necessary that they will react
to any retelling of ancient Indian myths). It so happened that this
particular text about the Ramayana caught their attention and raised their
ire - there are probably many others that are equally bad (from their
perspective) which they've ignored.

Also, you have to account for the fact that in some cases they may be
quite pleased about it - kind of an ego boost - that "the West is
accepting the truths of Indian culture" kinda stuff..

Badri