On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Divya Manian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:"brothers and sisters"[1] of India seem
> almost anonymous in their existence and rituals. Not even other language
> brahmins seem to have much to say about why they do what they do as much as
> the tamizh ones.
>
> [1] http://teck.in/school-days-and-pledge-india-is-my.html

I think my tambram daughter married an American because, having taken
a pledge that all Indians are her brothers and sisters, she couldn't
marry one after that....

And she IS a real Tambram...I call her the champion onion-peeler of
all time. "I am happy. Should I be happy? Why am I happy? Why are
others happy?" etc etc etc etc etc.

Divya, thank you for the chuckle that the pledge evoked!

Deepa.