Hi Everyone,

Feels great to join Silklist. Looking at the kind of conversations happening
here I seem to be in the midst of intellectually very sharp people with a
wide range of interests. I will strive to live up to that.

A brief intro about myself:
My name is Raja Venkataraman. Grew up in Chennai for the first part of my
life until school ended and joined a fairly small college in Bangalore for
my B.Sc in Biosciences. After this I studied Biotechnology at the Madurai
Kamaraj University. Left for the US in 1997 as many others did to pursue a
Ph.D in Miami, FL. Changed courses somewhere along the way and instead of
one Ph.D I ended up with two separate Masters degrees in Molecular biology
and Computer information systems. Continued to work in Miami till last year
when I decided to return to India after 11 long years.

I have been back here around 8 months and I feel much like a space traveller
who returns to his home planet after a long time. Many things have changed
and even more things have NOT. Of the significant things that have changed
are my friends circle that remained back in India. Almost all are married
*some even divorced* with children (unlike myself) who don't have time
anymore for a nice conversation or traveling. They all seem consumed by
their jobs and family committments. So far I have found it hard to find
myself and maintain an intellectual mileu of peers and complete the settling
down process in India.

This is when one of my friends (Dinesh Venkateshwaran) introduced me to
Silklist. I am hoping to get introduced to like minded individuals and
participate in many activities and stimulating conversations for a long time
to come.

I hope I have covered enough in terms of an introduction. Please feel free
to ask if there is anything else you would like me to add about myself.
Thanks for including me on the list.

Cheers,
Raja.