On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 8:43 AM, Srini RamaKrishnan <che...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ancient
> Rome at the peak of its affluence saw a decline in marriages because
> people saw no reason to marry. This led to the introduction of the tax
> sop for married couples that most modern states continue to this day.

Someone should tell the USian government:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_penalty

> Ancient love stories notwithstanding, marrying for love is a
> relatively recent phenomenon worldwide, less than 100 years old. It
> remains to be seen if marrying for love is a sustainable idea, afaik
> there is very little evidence either way at the moment.

I find the entire social construct of marriage (arranged or find your
own) quaint. Of course, there are important financial implications
(inheritance, benefits, taxation, etc.) of formalized cohabitation.

> On a related note, the human gene is inherently polygamous - obviously
> therefore modern social conditioning of monogamy runs contrary to
> genetic traits, and is in a somewhat risk prone position.

Are these traits *in homo sapiens* uniformly distributed between the
males and the females of the species?

> Marriages in
> ancient Rome or India carried no such rider of monogamy for example.

But didn't the riders apply to the female population (rare instances
like Draupati notwithstanding)?

Thaths
--
   "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel." -- Homer J. Simpson