On Thursday 09 Apr 2009 1:04:49 pm . wrote:
> If Shefali Anand did live in India, especially through the 90's and
> the current decade, she would know that Indian women are not exactly
> demure as most misconceptions go. The author would have been
> enlightened if she had taken the trouble to actually live and meet
> some (so-called repressed rural and urban) Indian women[0].
<snip>
> > Marriage is a human social construct in which monogamy is forced. As I
> > have stated earlier I believe it has social benefits that are
> > unrecognised by randy men and women who have access to birth control. In
> > the absence of birth control, the human female gets to pay a higher price
> > for polygamy than the male.
>
> How so? The women can still abandon the kid at an orphanage or abort
> them at a local illegal quack, risking her life in the process. Such
> 5x5cm articles were an everyday occurrence in local papers.

Unfortunately being demure or not is not the problem IMO. Women end up having
sex as often as men on average - given that it takes two to do it.

In the absence of social support a pregnant girl is in serious trouble. If she
is married - support from a husband helps. Abortion and pregnancy all carry
some risk to life and health. Pregnancy is a burden. A live baby is a burden,
as is a dead baby. Its fun all the way for the man. The more he scores - the
better.

In the absence of contraception the cost is invariably higher for the woman
unless the cost is raised for men by forcing a man to stay and support the
woman he has impregnated on pain of some punishment (in other words -
marriage :D LOL

shiv