On 1 June 2010 12:22, Sruthi Krishnan <srukr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think in the last thread on paid news too this piece by Sevanti
> Ninan was mentioned. Don't remember too well, but it is worth another
> dekko -- 'Paid news for dummies'.
>
> http://www.thehindu.com/mag/2010/03/28/stories/2010032850090300.htm
>
> An excerpt:
>
> So what are the honchos in charge saying about all this? “We live in
> hard times,” said Vinod Mehta, adding that paid advertorial in Outlook
> was called Spotlight, and he played very little role in what went in
> there. At a meeting on election-related paid news organised by four
> media bodies including the Editors Guild, the wisdom was that the best
> you can hope for is disclosure. We will take money for coverage, but
> we will indicate that it is paid coverage. We have to do it, said
> Rajdeep Sardesai, the current president of the Editors Guild. “We are
> listed quarter by quarter. We have to show profits.” “Editors find it
> difficult to stand up to proprietors who want to charge for election
> coverage,” said Mrinal Pande, former editor of Hindustan.
>
> “You cannot run a media company without money,” said Pankaj Pachauri
> of NDTV. “But there are editors who stand up to media marketers. I
> have 150 advertisers. You spread your risk.”
>
> Bottom line: the age of innocence is over. Learn to live with it.

http://presscouncil.nic.in/norms.htm

*<>*

*36.Advertisements*

           i) Commercial advertisements are information as much as social,
economic or political information. What is more, advertisements shape
attitude and ways of life at least as much, as other kinds of information
and comment. Journalistic propriety demands that advertisements must be
clearly distinguishable from news content carried in the newspaper.

vi) Journalistic propriety demands that advertisements must be clearly
distinguishable from editorial matter carried in the newspaper.  Newspapers
while publishing advertisements should specify the amount received by them.
The rationale behind this is that advertisements should be charged at rates
usually chargeable by a newspaper since payment of more than the normal
rates would amount to a subsidy to the paper.

<>

It is well established that the freedom of the press is essentially the
freedom of the people to be informed accurately and adequately on all
issues, problems, events and developments.  In discharge of the editorial
functions the editor is supreme and superior even to the owner.

The independence of the newspaper, is essentially the independence of the
editor from all internal and external restrictions.  Unless the editor

enjoys this freedom he will be unable to discharge his primary duty which is
to the people and without such freedom, he can be held responsible in law
for all that appears in the newspaper.

In the running of the newspaper, the managerial, administrative or business
side of the newspaper has to be kept independent of its editorial side and
should not be allowed to encroach upon or interfere with the editorial
section.  This precaution is to be taken even when the owner and the editor
is the same.  The proprietor must not allow his business interests and
considerations to either dominate or interfere with the newspapers
obligation to the people.

That is why there is also an obligation on the management to select a person
as the editor who is competent and bears integrity of character and
independence of mind.

The successful working of any arrangement in the ultimate analysis would
depend on mutual understanding, cooperation and goodwill between the
management, the editor, editorial journalist staff and all those who are
faithfully working in the production of a paper.

If the co-ordination between the different departments including the
editorial is effected by the Brand Management without in any way interfering
with the freedom of the editor to include or exclude news or views, the
length or details as well as their language and the place where they are to
be published, and the prominence with which they should appear,

there may not be much grievance  that such  co-ordination is in violation of
the freedom of the editor.  However, if the choice of the editor with regard
to selection of material in any manner is sought to be interfered with, it
is undoubtedly an unwarranted encroachment on the said freedom.

(ii) The editor under no circumstances can be asked by the proprietor to
serve his private interests.  To require an editor to cater to the personal
interests of the proprietor is not only to demean the office of the editor
but also to encroach upon his status as a trustee of the society in respect
of the contents of the newspaper.    In any country which swears by the
freedom and the independence of the press, an attempt by any proprietor of a
newspaper to use his editor as his personal agent to promote his private
interests and to compel him to act and to write, to serve them is both
offensive and reprehensive.  Any editor or for that matter any journalist
who accepts or condescends to do such jobs not only degrades himself but
also the profession of journalism and does not deserve the calling.  He
betrays the trust the society keeps in him for furnishing fair, objective
and comprehensive news and views.

<>

 *Complaints Procedure*

          A person with a complaint against a newspaper, for any
publication, or non-publication of a material, which he finds objectionable
and which effects him personally, he should first take it up with the editor
or other authorised representative of the publication concerned.

          If the complaint is not resolved to satisfaction, he may refer it
to the Press Council of India.  The complaint must be specific and in
writing and should be lodged within two months of the publication of
impugned news item in case of dailies and weeklies and four months in all
other cases, along with the original/Photostat copy of the impugned clipping
(English translation, if the matter is in a language other than Hindi).  It
must state in what manner the publication/non publication of the matter is
objectionable within the meaning of the Press Council Act, 1978  enclose a
copy of the letter to the editor, pointing out why   the matter  is
objectionable.  His reply thereto or published rejoinder, if any, may also
be attached to it.  Declaration stating that the subject matter of the
complainant is not pending in any court of law is also required to be filed.

On receipt of a complaint made to it or otherwise, if the Council is prima
facie satisfied that the matter discloses sufficient ground for inquiry, it
issues show cause notice to the respondents and then considers the matter
through its Inquiry Committee on the basis of written and oral evidence
tendered before it. Appearance before the committee is not mandatory and a
complaint may be processed on the basis of the written documents on record.
If on inquiry, the Council has reason to believe that the respondent
newspaper has violated journalistic norms, the Council, keeping in view the
gravity of the misconduct committed by the newspaper, warns, admonishes or
censures the newspaper or disapproves the conduct of the editor or the
journalist as the case may be.  It may also direct the respondent newspaper
to publish the contradiction of the complainant or a gist of the Council’s
decision in its forthcoming issue.

          If a newspaper or journalist is aggrieved by any action or
inaction  of any authority that may impinge on the freedom of the press, he
can also file a complaint with the Council.  The aggrieved newspaper or
journalist may inform the Council about the possible reason for the
action/inaction  of the authorities against him i.e. if it is  a reprisal
measure taken by the authorities due to critical writings or as a result of
the policy that may effect the freedom of the press (supporting documents,
with English translation if they are in a language other than Hindi  should
be filed).  Declaration regarding  the non pendency of the subject matter of
the complaint  in any court of law is also necessary.

                   On being *prima-facie *satisfied of the admissibility of
a complaint, the response of the authorities is called for and inquiry
conducted through the inquiry committee of the Council.  When the Council
upholds the complaint of the aggrieved newspaper/journalist, the Council
directs the concerned government to take appropriate steps, to redress the
grievance of the complainant or records in observations regarding the
conduct of that authority vis-à-vis the freedom of the press.

Address for complaints or inquiries:
-

The   Secretary,

Press Council of India, Soochna Bhawan,

8, CGO Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi-110003

Phone: 24368726, 24366403

Fax: 011-24366745 (Extn. 224)

E-mail: pc...@vsnl.net

Website: http:/presscouncil.nic.in