On Saturday 18 December 2010 05:24 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> Everybody knows that voting machines are dead, and anyone
> who pushes them should be regarded with extreme suspiction,
> right?

(Presuming you mean "electronic voting machines",) I completely
disagree.  Two points:

1. Not all EVMs are created equal, and each design must be evaluated on
its own merit.
2. The problems with EVMs should not be evaluated on their own, but
compared to those with paper ballots.  This might not be very important
in "developed" countries (though the infamous Hanging Chads of Florida
could be used to argue against that), but in many developed countries
where problems like ballot-stuff, booth-capturing, etc., are rampant,
the cracks against EVMs *might* (depending on the design of the EVM) be
more difficult to carry out than against paper ballots.

- Pranesh